PDA

View Full Version : When is it to cold to Polish?

Whitethunder46
11-15-2006, 11:40 AM
So it's 41 degrees outside right now. Is that too cold to work with compounds and the PC? What about applying LSPs?

GearHead_1
11-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Getting a little boarder line on the temp. If you're in direct sunlight you might not have any problems.

ScottB
11-15-2006, 12:54 PM
When the polish freezes over and wont come out .... sorry could not resist, from Florida.

99 hardtop
11-17-2006, 02:19 PM
So it's 41 degrees outside right now. Is that too cold to work with compounds and the PC? What about applying LSPs?

41 degrees is a little too cold for the wax/polish to dry. I do not recommend any temp below 60 degrees unless you are in a heated garage. Just my $.02
Im the MAN :cheers:

dengood1
11-17-2006, 09:57 PM
When the polish freezes over and wont come out .... sorry could not resist, from Florida.
:righton:AAAHH!!!!:applause: Who would WANT to polish in 41 degrees?:p

Whitethunder46
11-18-2006, 01:17 AM
I was just wondering. Since I'm from Southern Ohio, and likely won't see 60* until March or so, I can't wait to get my PC and etc. etc. No sense in ordering it now if I can't use it.

supercharged
11-22-2006, 05:52 AM
go ahead and polish even if it is 40 degrees. Good luck.

ryandamartini
11-22-2006, 08:28 AM
MmmmMMmm Gotta love Tampa winters! :D

I think I might go polish out the camry... just because :D

But I would think XMT should polish in 40 degree weather, its good stuff! :)

ashsarna
11-22-2006, 09:34 AM
I would not want to prep (ie using the pc with polishes ect) in such cold weather. I try to get that done before the cold temps set in.
I do, though, apply sealants and wax in this weather. I did it yesterday. Allow more time to cure and be aware you may get streaking with certain products (lucky so far).

Whitethunder46, the temps are supposted to get better. Might be the time to do what you want;) .

tempter927
12-15-2008, 06:01 PM
I tried applying wolfgang 3.0 sealant in 25 degree weather,, the sealent frosted while i was applying with the foam pad, however it seemed to then spread out as i applied over the 2X2 or 3X3 area. I applied to the whole care and let it "haze" for an hour then buff off. I definitely felt a difference that evening after buffing it was silky smooth, it did not rain for 24 hours so I believe it had time to cure. I will attempt to apply another coat if the weather gets up to 40-50 degrees one of these days here in nyc. I'll keep you posted as to the result.

img
12-15-2008, 06:10 PM
I'd say your safe until your fingers turn blue and numb, or snot freezes
on your face.

Blade
12-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Based on past experience, I won't be able to work efficiently if it's that cold. I'd take the car inside the garage. As well, at 40 outside, you don't need a heated garage at all, unless it's drafty or you're the cold type. For instance, it was 25 outside a couple of days ago and I polished and sealed (SIP/Nano/Opti-Seal) a car inside my garage. No heater, but I had halogens turned on from time to time (more off than on - just to check my work). I'd guess it was probably just under 50 deg inside my unheated garage. The products worked well and the car turned out pretty good.

tripperfx3
12-16-2008, 01:42 AM
I did the 1st full detail on my Evo just after xmas last year and it was 38 when I started and 30 when I finished. I don't think the polish really worked as efficiently as it could have, but the car turned out great. I don't think I'd do it again and I'm going to wait til it gets up to at least 45 before I do another full detail on my car.