New truck best products for the color

buffaslow

Reaction score
Hey guys I just bought a 2010 f150 its red candy metallic. What would be a good wax to bring out the metallic flakes in the paint? also it has a lot of plastic chrome whats a good product for that and the chrome rims?

Thanks guys! for the record this site is SUPER ADDICTIVE! as i'm sure most of you already know:dblthumb2:

I have a candy red truck and for wax I love DP Max Wax or Poorboy's World Liquid Natty Blue. For sealant I use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

For flake I've noticed poorboys nattys red really makes it pop out, I've read that nattys red and liquid blue are similar. What sully is saying seems to confirm that IMO, because I've also noticed dp maxwax to make flake pop well too, though not quite as well as nattys red.

Welcome to AGO.

I have a 2010 F-150 with the same color paint, but no crhome as it's the FX4 version. I polished the truck with the Wolfgang Twins and then followed with the WG sealant when I got my truck. After the sealant dried, I added some Liquid Sovern. Recently I put a coat of Fuzion on too and both waxes looked great.
I know the Sovern and Fuzion are more show waxes but they make the red look great. My truck lives in the garage and isn't used everyday so that helps with the waxes I chose.

Since this is your first post...

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

Hey guys I just bought a 2010 f150 its red candy metallic. What would be a good wax to bring out the metallic flakes in the paint?

The most important thing you can do to bring out the metallic flakes in the paint is to make sure the clear layer of paint is as clear as possible and you do this by removing any above or below surface paint defects, like swirls and scratches.

It's the prep work that is responsible for 90% of the end results, (or higher).

After you wash the truck, pull it out into bright sunlight and inspect the paint for swirls, like this...

The difference between Rotary Buffer Swirls, Cobweb Swirls and Micro-Marring

bmwcobwebswirls.jpg

They don't have to be as bad as you see on this BMW but these are what we call Cobweb Swirls and they are common in clear coat paints even if a car or truck is brand new.

A show car finish won't have any swirls, here's the same car...

2600_bmwsidebyside2.jpg

2600_bmwbeforeandafter.jpg

So you want to inspect your truck's finish and make sure the clear coat layer, the top coat is truly clear and defect free. If not we can help you improve it but it might mean more than just applying a finishing wax which is what your question is about.

also it has a lot of plastic chrome whats a good product for that

Plastic Chrome can simply be washed and then waxed with whatever wax you're using on the paint. Avoid abrasive cleaner/waxes until you've tested the wax on the plastic chrome first to make sure it's not leaving scratches.

and the chrome rims?

Wash REALLY WELL.

Chrome is fairly impervious to anything and will last a long time if you just keep the chrome clean. When dirt builds up on chrome it attracts moisture and this will lead to corrosion and chrome peeling and flaking off.

Besides washing, you can use a dedicated chrome polish or even cleaner/wax if you see water spots or stains.

:)

I thought the souveran paste tended to darken paint and somewhat mute the flake?

Back