Really Really Really bad tar - advise, help?

tj98cobra

Reaction score
I don't know where to start. From door handles all the way down to the rocker panels. Luckily it's a black car. But this is THICK.

I've read Kerosene or diesel fuel. Any advise?

Owner tried some foam tar remover, didn't really help.

Not sure if I want to take this one on, but it's a family friend.

Thanks in Advance.

IMG_4680.jpg

IMG_4675.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg

IMG_4672.jpg

Um...what is that, undercoating overspray? You need some solvent, some mineral spirits will probably do it.

Drove down a "freshly oiled" street. It must have been wet like a rainy street.

wow.

At what point will the mineral spirits take off the clear coat though?

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner Part No 051135-08984
for removing Adhesive, Silicone, Wax, Grease, Tar, Oil

Wow was this guy following a tack truck as it was laying it down.

"prep all" at walmart. it's the bootleg version of the 3m prep solvent. works like a charm for me.

I see you're new here so.....

:welcome: To Autogeek!

Autogeek is a friendly place to visit, learn, and contribute. Our members are the best and will offer their opinions to any question you may have.

Autogeek's staff is second to none and are there to help with an order, answer a product related question, help with an order, or get you a coffee............... well, maybe not the coffee but they're a pretty good bunch.....:laughing:

Tar,

I would start with kerosene. Use a hand towel and saturate it with kerosene. Apply it directly to the affected areas and allow it to soften the gunk. Road tar has all sorts of crap and debris in it so be particularly careful as not to scratch the finish.

As it begins to melt start wiping it until its gone.

Re: Really Really Really bad tar - advice, help?

I see you're new here so.....

:welcome: To Autogeek!

Autogeek is a friendly place to visit, learn, and contribute. Our members are the best and will offer their opinions to any question you may have.

Autogeek's staff is second to none and are there to help with an order, answer a product related question, help with an order, or get you a coffee............... well, maybe not the coffee but they're a pretty good bunch.....:laughing:

Tar,

I would start with kerosene. Use a hand towel and saturate it with kerosene. Apply it directly to the affected areas and allow it to soften the gunk. Road tar has all sorts of crap and debris in it so be particularly careful as not to scratch the finish.

As it begins to melt start wiping it until its gone.

Yes, I a convert from Autopia. This site is much better ! Thanks for the advice !

I'd go with Stoner Tarminator. You might be able to find it locally. Might require a couple cans for that much tar though. Geez! Check out the video in the link provided.

Tarminator quickly and easily removes tar, sap, bugs, grease and asphalt from auto exteriors.

I have not been impressed with Tarminator. The last white vehicle I did, it didn't even make the tar soft, ended up using diesel fuel. I'm stuck with almost a case of the stuff, sure wish I'd tried it first before I bought it. Its not all that great on bugs either. Hope others have better luck than I did.

I have not been impressed with Tarminator. The last white vehicle I did, it didn't even make the tar soft, ended up using diesel fuel. I'm stuck with almost a case of the stuff, sure wish I'd tried it first before I bought it. Its not all that great on bugs either. Hope others have better luck than I did.

I think some of this stuff has changed due to VOC regulations. I know the old Turtle Wax tar remover was much better than the newer stuff.

Back