Meg's All wheel cleaner safe for this wheel?

Mister B

Reaction score
Quick Question, Please.

My neighbor just dropped me off their 1989 Volvo Coupe to detail and I was just getting ready to wash it and I just wanted to make 100% sure that All Wheel cleaner was indeed safe for ALL wheels, including this wheel. I have never cleaned wheels like these before and wanted to be 100% sure first because I see the bottle says safe for all factory coated wheels, but check with mfg before using any wheel cleaner on any wheels. I don't know if these are factory coated wheels or not.

Any first hand experience or info would be appreciated.

Thanks

tn_Wheel.jpg

LOL it doesn't look like anything will hurt that wheel any further. Can you wash it some and then get a closer shot of it?

Ha ha, that's what we used to call a snowflake or honeycomb mag. My mother had wheels like that back in the day and I used to clean every opening with the P21S sponge...

I always trace the origin of wheels like that back to late 70's Trans Ams but the pictured wheel is more of a BBS knockoff that were popular on BMW's a little later on. I'd just go ahead and use the cleaner, as Dubbin noted, you can't make them much worse.

try doing it gradually. starting with very little dwell time and increasing it if needed. and for sure rinse thoroughly. i had a 1975 bmw with actual bbs mahle gold honeycombs back in the day. what a pia to clean. now is look for chrome and large holes for my hands.

LOL it doesn't look like anything will hurt that wheel any further.

Yea I know. I just don't like to risk messing something up that is not mine any further if I can help it.

Can you wash it some and then get a closer shot of it?

Here is another shot after washing up a little with soap and water. I need to find a spoke brush locally to get in all those spokes.

tn_Photo620.jpg

And here is a closer shot.

tn_Photo621.jpg

I tried a little M105 on a small spot of the lip of the rim and it made the rag black, so I am thinking the lip is uncoated aluminum. The lip is pretty pitted.

The gold lace spokes may be anodized, but I'm not 100% sure. The gold spokes actually seemed to clean up pretty good in the one tiny spot I tried.

I always trace the origin of wheels like that back to late 70's Trans Ams but the pictured wheel is more of a BBS knockoff that were popular on BMW's a little later on.

The car does have kind of a later BMW look to it.

tn_Photo618.jpg

Wow those are pretty shot, I don't think you are going to do anymore harm to them.

Wow those are pretty shot, I don't think you are going to do anymore harm to them.

Yea, the lip is pitted pretty bad, but the gold spokes are actually in pretty decent shape once they are clean. It will just take some time getting in all those nooks and crannies of the spokes. :(

The wheels won't look new again, but I'll have to see what I can do with them.

the lip is aluminum. so you should probably use a APC to clean them and then polish them with one of the many power drill tools available.

unless there is a clear coat of sorts on the lip it is probably machined

Back