PDA

View Full Version : what has happened to my rims?

Pages : [1] 2

02nissanISR
11-06-2010, 11:23 AM
purchased these about a year and a half ago to my knowledge they are clear coated rims (i've done the metal polish test, no black comes off) ive never used acid cleaners on them. the only thing i can gather is that last winter was really bad here in Maryland and that this is some kind of road salt corrosion. can someone please advise?

1: if this is a clear coat problem can normal paint processes be followed?

2: if not what are my options for repair

thanks for any suggestions:props:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6806&stc=1&d=1289060078

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6807&stc=1&d=1289060106

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6809&stc=1&d=1289060160

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6810&stc=1&d=1289060185

Dubbin1
11-06-2010, 11:35 AM
OMG those are only a year and a half old??? I would be contacting the manufacture to see about a warranty.

Anyway, the CC has failed on them. I have a hard time believing one winter would have done that much damage.

Setec Astronomy
11-06-2010, 11:41 AM
I see the snow on the ground in your avatar pic--welcome to salt-induced aluminum corrosion!

02nissanISR
11-06-2010, 11:58 AM
i had a hard time with it too but it is what it is. checked on warranty that was long gone by the time this happened. or by the time i noticed.
i should mention i noticed this several months ago im just getting around to asking about it

so can they be refinished by maybe sanding and re-cleared or should this be professionally done

the avitar pic was taken right after installation the snow was pretty much over at that point but this last winter was brutal

Dubbin1
11-06-2010, 12:00 PM
so can they be refinished by maybe sanding and re-cleared or should this be professionally done

I would have them professionally done BUT I would also NOT put them on the car during the winter again.

02nissanISR
11-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Agreed I do still have the sock rims but they had internal corosion so the tire bead wouldn't make a good seal so those need repaired as well plus if memory serves one of the stock rims was cracked I just can't win. Thanks for the advise though.

Matt S.
11-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Clear coat failure...

ScottB
11-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Clear coat failure...

:iagree::iagree:

02nissanISR
11-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks for responding guys. So is professional refinishing my only option I hear that can get a little pricey. like the per wheel cost might equal a new set of rims.

Munich77
11-06-2010, 06:03 PM
You could try wet sanding and then spraying the wheels with a new clear coat. However, refinish is the only way to really fix the problem. For the price of refinishing you can probably buy a whole new set of rims (unless they are from an expensive brand).

Rob T
11-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Ouch.

Setec Astronomy
11-06-2010, 06:19 PM
So is professional refinishing my only option I hear that can get a little pricey. like the per wheel cost might equal a new set of rims.

Then you're going to the wrong place? Where are you located? There is a place in the Allentown PA area that is good, but you don't have to be local you can UPS to them.

MetaEnder
11-07-2010, 12:26 AM
If I were you, I'd rock them how they are for now, and then once they start to get bad have them repainted.

Dubbin1
11-07-2010, 01:07 AM
If I were you, I'd rock them how they are for now, and then once they start to get bad have them repainted.

Umm they already started getting bad and are in pretty poor shape right now.

Setec Astronomy
11-07-2010, 06:31 AM
Then you're going to the wrong place? Where are you located? There is a place in the Allentown PA area that is good, but you don't have to be local you can UPS to them.

I guess I didn't see in your original post that you are in MD. The place I am talking about is Wheel Collision Center in Bath, PA. I haven't used them in a long time but I had factory wheels with clear lips that were corroded like yours, and they machined and recleared the lips and they looked great and lasted longer than the factory paint (well, to be fair, I went to stick-on weights because a lot of the damage I had was from dissimilar corrosion under the weights).

Their price list shows Paint and Clearcoat at $95-180 and Polish and Clearcoat at $105-250. You can email them your pictures and ask.