PDA

View Full Version : Sealant question

20ducks
11-12-2010, 07:41 PM
What exactly does a sealant (e.g. Zaino CS) do?

toxygene
11-12-2010, 08:41 PM
I was confused about this when I first started detailing, too. The link below explains it well.
Carnauba Car Wax vs. Paint Sealants, carnauba wax reviews, paint sealant reviews (http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html)

Zaino CS is a particular type of sealant that doesn't require buffing off. There are others like this such as Ultima Paint Guard Plus and Optimum Opti-Seal.

20ducks
11-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Great read, thanks for the link. Let me go deeper into this: when I apply either a natural wax or synthetic protectant to a car, it is protected by the product itself. Yes? Adding a coat of Opti-Seal or Zaino CS does what then?

Niele
11-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Great read, thanks for the link. Let me go deeper into this: when I apply either a natural wax or synthetic protectant to a car, it is protected by the product itself. Yes? Adding a coat of Opti-Seal or Zaino CS does what then?

I'm confused about your question. You seem to answer your own question, and then you ask it again.

In general, a sealant and a wax have the same function -- they protect the paint. But, a wax is made from a natural product and a sealant is a "synthetic protectant". There are hybrid products, but in general, a sealant is a synthetic wax.

Here is another article that you might find informative:
Sacrificial Barrier Coating = The purpose of a wax or synthetic paint sealant (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28566-sacrificial-barrier-coating-purpose-wax-synthetic-paint-sealant.html)

Now, if you are asking why some people put a wax over a sealant, it is because they perfer the look of a wax, but want the durability of the sealant. So, the solution is to first use a sealant for long lasting protection, then layer a wax on top of the sealant to get that waxed look.

Does that answer your question?

BobbyG
11-13-2010, 07:38 AM
I'm confused about your question. You seem to answer your own question, and then you ask it again.

In general, a sealant and a wax have the same function -- they protect the paint. But, a wax is made from a natural product and a sealant is a "synthetic protectant". There are hybrid products, but in general, a sealant is a synthetic wax.

Here is another article that you might find informative:
Sacrificial Barrier Coating = The purpose of a wax or synthetic paint sealant (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28566-sacrificial-barrier-coating-purpose-wax-synthetic-paint-sealant.html)

Now, if you are asking why some people put a wax over a sealant, it is because they perfer the look of a wax, but want the durability of the sealant. So, the solution is to first use a sealant for long lasting protection, then layer a wax on top of the sealant to get that waxed look.

Does that answer your question?

I'd agree with this, nice definition! :props:

ScottB
11-13-2010, 12:35 PM
The newer WOWA sealants (Zaino CS, Optiseal, Ultima) are synthetic products meant to protect paint temporarily like a wax. They dont require any real buffing but some care must be used to apply quite sparingly.