Mercedes S430 full massage.. black paint and with a twist! (long story, lots of pics)

Avengeance

Reaction score
Well.. in all honesty this car kicked my butt! I was ready for smooth sailing but turns out this car had maaaaaaajor issues. I ordered some 106FF specifically for this car (which cost a grip by itself and 3day shipping) which ended up not doing the trick for me. I originally saw this car across the street from my home while I was detailing a Lincoln.. from across the street on a overcast day it looked nice. I ended up booking a date with the owner shortly after, hes a friends boyfriend. My friend set it up and she specifically asked if I could remove the swirls.. I said "of course" then ordered the 106FF and was prepared to do battle on the hard clear coat. I got the car in the garage after washing and claying.. and 1) the car had a TON of contamination.. and 2) a TON, no a few TONS, worth of swirls!!! How does a scratch resistant hard clear get in this condition??? I immediately noticed something wasnt right when claying.. the car had been repainted, and it looked like it had been repainted in someones garage. So I begin using the rotary and after a panel.. my pad is turning black!!!! Holy cr@p this thing was reshot with single stage!! So much for the $18 for 3 day shipping on my 106FF bottle. The car had so many problems that I had to resort to a heavy Meguiars compound, #84. Which still didnt fix everything.. as I was intimidated by the single stage, Ive never worked on single stage and didnt want to beat it up too bad because the paint job was so crappy I didnt want to push to far and hit metal, so ultimately I settled with "OK".

Anyways..

Process:

Exterior
-QDed the car. (they washed the car prior to drop off)
-Megs clay and QD for lube
-Megs #84 with polish pad rotary @ 1500
-Megs #80 with finish pad rotary @ 1000
-Megs #21 by hand
-Megs #16 by hand
-Megs #38 for tires and trim
-Stoners for glass and wheels
-Flitz for emblems and grill

Interior
-Stoners on glass
-Zymol cleaner on leather
-Zymol conditioner on leather
-Megs APC+ 10:1 on doors and dash
-Megs APC+ 4:1 on carpet stains scrub by hand
-Megs APC+ 10:1 on all carpet scrub by hand
-Heated APC+ diluted through Bissell LGM for deep clean

Exterior Befores:

IMG_6904-vi.jpg

IMG_6906-vi.jpg

IMG_6907-vi.jpg

The whole car looked like this...
IMG_6926-vi.jpg

Interior Befores, this was the only bad part of the inside.. driver floorboard and the mats.:

IMG_6945-vi.jpg

IMG_6977-vi.jpg

Interior Afters:

IMG_6946-vi.jpg

IMG_6947-vi.jpg

IMG_6979-vi.jpg

Exterior Afters:

This was the best I could do. I didnt know the quality or depth of the single stage so I didnt want to push any farther. Deffinately 10xs better.

After #84.
IMG_6927-vi.jpg

After #80.
IMG_6928-vi.jpg

After #21.
IMG_6937-vi.jpg

IMG_6938-vi.jpg

Outside shots. After the scrutiny of halogens and flourecents in the garage I was pleasantly surprised when I took it out in the light.
IMG_6950-vi.jpg

IMG_6953-vi.jpg

IMG_6957-vi.jpg

IMG_6958-vi.jpg

IMG_6971-vi.jpg

IMG_6973-vi.jpg

IMG_6982-vi.jpg

IMG_6985-vi.jpg

IMG_6986-vi.jpg

This sure is interesting.. after seeing this I was glad I didnt get too cocky with fixing the paint. I removed the plate to polish the rear and this is what I found. The "body shop", if you want to call them that.. Id call them crooks.. didnt even take the rear plate off to paint the trunk. Also.. ALL of the rubbers had paint on them, didnt even mask them off.

IMG_6941-vi.jpg

Sooo.. I guess I cant beat myself up too bad.. it turned out OK considering the before condition and the issues I was working with.

Avengeance said:
Well.. in all honesty this car kicked my butt! I was ready for smooth sailing but turns out this car had maaaaaaajor issues. I ordered some 106FF specifically for this car (which cost a grip by itself and 3day shipping) which ended up not doing the trick for me. I originally saw this car across the street from my home while I was detailing a Lincoln.. from across the street on a overcast day it looked nice. I ended up booking a date with the owner shortly after, hes a friends boyfriend. My friend set it up and she specifically asked if I could remove the swirls.. I said "of course" then ordered the 106FF and was prepared to do battle on the hard clear coat. I got the car in the garage after washing and claying.. and 1) the car had a TON of contamination.. and 2) a TON, no a few TONS, worth of swirls!!! How does a scratch resistant hard clear get in this condition??? I immediately noticed something wasnt right when claying.. the car had been repainted, and it looked like it had been repainted in someones garage. So I begin using the rotary and after a panel.. my pad is turning black!!!! Holy cr@p this thing was reshot with single stage!! So much for the $18 for 3 day shipping on my 106FF bottle. The car had so many problems that I had to resort to a heavy Meguiars compound, #84. Which still didnt fix everything.. as I was intimidated by the single stage, Ive never worked on single stage and didnt want to beat it up too bad because the paint job was so crappy I didnt want to push to far and hit metal, so ultimately I settled with "OK".

Anyways..

Process:

Exterior
-QDed the car. (they washed the car prior to drop off)
-Megs clay and QD for lube
-Megs #84 with polish pad rotary @ 1500
-Megs #80 with finish pad rotary @ 1000
-Megs #21 by hand
-Megs #16 by hand
-Megs #38 for tires and trim
-Stoners for glass and wheels
-Flitz for emblems and grill

Interior
-Stoners on glass
-Zymol cleaner on leather
-Zymol conditioner on leather
-Megs APC+ 10:1 on doors and dash
-Megs APC+ 4:1 on carpet stains scrub by hand
-Megs APC+ 10:1 on all carpet scrub by hand
-Heated APC+ diluted through Bissell LGM for deep clean

Exterior Befores:

IMG_6904-vi.jpg

IMG_6906-vi.jpg

IMG_6907-vi.jpg

The whole car looked like this...
IMG_6926-vi.jpg

Interior Befores, this was the only bad part of the inside.. driver floorboard and the mats.:

IMG_6945-vi.jpg

IMG_6977-vi.jpg

Interior Afters:

IMG_6946-vi.jpg

IMG_6947-vi.jpg

IMG_6979-vi.jpg

Exterior Afters:

This was the best I could do. I didnt know the quality or depth of the single stage so I didnt want to push any farther. Deffinately 10xs better.

After #84.
IMG_6927-vi.jpg

After #80.
IMG_6928-vi.jpg

After #21.
IMG_6937-vi.jpg

IMG_6938-vi.jpg

That was a real mess. Didn't they believe in cleaning a car at least?
You wanna be like Justin?
Well I think you are!!
Looks super. Nothing like a job well done. That car was crying for it.
:righton: :righton:

dam.

Nice work correcting someone elses horrible work on the paint. Definately picked the right products. Megs works wonders on single stage :)

WOW! That one is HUGE turnaround! The correction on the paint is amazing, look at the befores and then the after shots! Just sublime work, very impressive.

Something fishy was definitely going on with that Mercedes. Why would a car like that need repainting? And especially that poor of a job? Makes me think of those old maffia movies where they steal a car, then repaint it...

Fantastic work nonetheless, I bet the owner was pleased.

;) Great job,product selection is critical on single stage paint.Looks like they had it painted at some local high school body shop.No charge but ya get what ya pay for.;) :applause:

Your "after" pics don't even look like the same car. Excellent turnaound. I'll bet you slept well after that one!

The owner should start to belive in santa, you did a miracle on that car..Benz is proud of you.

looks unbelievable!!! kinda like my car. it looked about that bad before this weekend.

Wow. That is some awesome work. THe car looks great!

Thanks guys... I appreciate the kind words. Its nice to have a good challenge once in a while but this one threw me for a loop. Good times!! :)

Back