California duster vs microfiber duster?

MonoPed

Reaction score
I've been using California Car Dusters for years, but occasionally get streaks on my glass, which I have to clean up because dirty glass bugs me. Has anyone used the Carrand Microfiber Duster offered by AG? How does it compare to the original car duster? thanks

I have both. Very dissatisfied with the Carrand as it just moves everything around and does not remove anything. The Carrand has it's own place on the shelf and I try it every once in a while and put it away to get a real duster (California). My suggestion is buy another California or save your money. I haven't timed it but I think the time between using ONR versus dusting may come out pretty close to the same time as your not chasing those streaks around the vehicle from the California duster.

Dave

I have both, but use the Carrand for glass. You will almost always have streaks, but it gets the heavy dust off before QDing and glass cleaning. Been using Optimum Opti Clean as a waterless wash and find that it leaves a nice gloss that I don't use a QD anymore.

The microfiber one needs some static, I rub it back and forth by hand a couple times and it then picks up better.

The microfiber one needs some static, I rub it back and forth by hand a couple times and it then picks up better.

Appreciate the info. I have tried rubbing it on my jeans,several passes across the hood even spraying it with a QD or ONR. Still it just moves the dust/dirt from one location to another. Luckily it wasn't very expensive. Maybe Arizona dust/dirt wants to be different :laughing:

Dave

I think the paraffin wax used in the strands of Cali duster help alot too. Every couple years I toss it and get a new one, never worked the same after I washed the first one.

not a big fan of either one. At night before, I put my baby to bed, run a couple of 100% cotton bath towels through the washer on rinse/spin dry. They are damp enough to catch dust but not so wet that they streak. I don't apply pressure and I add a little QD and turing the towel to a fresh square after each panel. Yeah, does not work on the run. You need to be home. I think it leaves a cleaner finish.

I think the paraffin wax used in the strands of Cali duster help alot too. Every couple years I toss it and get a new one, never worked the same after I washed the first one.
Scott, don't they work better when they are dirty.

I too bought a Microfiber chenille duster to test out how it compares to California duster.

I was really disappointed with it. California duster is the thing to have!

Now I'll use it for glass as Rsurfer said!:xyxthumbs:
(maybe occasionally for rims lol! :D)

Scott, don't they work better when they are dirty.

I suggest "lightly dirty" not "real dirty" :props:

Ive found that allowing the Cali to sit on a newspaper for several days before first use makes it work better than any other method. When it gets too dirty it scares me and thus tossed and replaced.

I suggest "lightly dirty" not "real dirty" :props:

Ive found that allowing the Cali to sit on a newspaper for several days before first use makes it work better than any other method. When it gets too dirty it scares me and thus tossed and replaced.
I guess the question is when is dirty too dirty.Im the MAN

Back