PDA

View Full Version : Skunk interior scent

Pages : [1] 2

Munich77
12-21-2010, 06:18 PM
I have a question for all the detailing gurus on this forum. Our friend's car got sprayed by a skunk under the car - underneath the hood. As a result the underside and the interior of the car all stink like skunk. Our friends are at a wits end - they managed to short out some of the electronics with odor remover and are using baking soda to try to get the scent out. Does anyone have any idea how to get the smell out? The interior did not get skunked but has the lovely eau-de-skunk scent in it.

ScottB
12-21-2010, 06:28 PM
too bad no lakes full of tomato juice ...

mcpp66
12-21-2010, 06:30 PM
There was a homemade concoction I read about somewhere.......if I can find it I'll post it.

Crazy Amos
12-21-2010, 06:30 PM
First I would go to a car wash and spray the heck out of the engine bay and underbody. The juices are stuck on there, as a result it's coming Ito the interior. Once pressure washed, let it sit with the windows down for a few hours if you can. If not..... It will eventually go away. Another thing that will cause the smell to stay is the cabin filter. Check to see if the car has one, most new models do, and then replace it. It should be found behind the glove box in most vehicles. I've done the same thing except ran over an already dead one and the guts and smelly juices sprayed by underbody and wheel wells (probably came from out of it's butt lol) and this is what i did. The smell was gone within a day.

Crazy Amos
12-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Cabin filters typically run $10-$30 at any auto store.

Crazy Amos
12-21-2010, 06:34 PM
If you have a foam gun or cannon it will work better than a pressure washer at a car wash. Let the shampoo dwell a while and blast it off.

sahrcar
12-21-2010, 07:39 PM
How about using a thermal fogger like the unsmoke electro-gen? This machine will rid a vehicle or home of tobacco or fire smoke smells and for what the capabilities of it are its pretty inexpensive. Around $300 new but Ive seen them for around $150 or so on ebay. For use in a car just put it up to the air vents for about 15 or 20 seconds then let the fog fill out into the car and wait a few minutes. Thats it!

Crazy Amos
12-21-2010, 07:49 PM
How about using a thermal fogger like the unsmoke electro-gen? This machine will rid a vehicle or home of tobacco or fire smoke smells and for what the capabilities of it are its pretty inexpensive. Around $300 new but Ive seen them for around $150 or so on ebay. For use in a car just put it up to the air vents for about 15 or 20 seconds then let the fog fill out into the car and wait a few minutes. Thats it!

I am going to check into that. The house we are looking at reeks of smoke and I want it gone. Which brand would you refer?

Crazy Amos
12-21-2010, 07:50 PM
BTW welcome to AG Sahrcar!

smalltrees
12-21-2010, 07:55 PM
as killrwheels... stated... tomato juice...
I have shampooed several dogs with great success... too bad the dog did not learn...
not sure about the effect of tomato juice on paint/wax...

Crazy Amos
12-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Before they spend Alot of money or put tomatoe juice on the car, I would try pressure washing. The cause of the smell is not "in" the interior, whether it's guts, fecies or skunk juice, it is on the outside. The smell is just coming into the interior, just like it does when driving down the road. Trust me I've had to this exact thing and it worked. If you have a PW it can be done for free or at a carwash for $3.00.

Not saying the other suggestions are wrong by any means, the pressure washer is a cheaper route. No matter how you fix it, please let us know how it was done so we can add it to our neurological data banks. :)

dougaross
12-21-2010, 10:02 PM
as killrwheels... stated... tomato juice...
I have shampooed several dogs with great success... too bad the dog did not learn...
not sure about the effect of tomato juice on paint/wax...
Tomato juice should be mixed with vodka and a touch of tabasco. Oh, and celery stalk
(http://www.google.com/search?q=tabasco&hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS261US262&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=3WkRTeWZLoyr8AaCidmdDg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CFMQrQQwBA)

dad07
12-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Tomato juice should mixed with vodka and a touch of tabasco. Oh, and celery stalk

Was Thinking this exact same thing :xyxthumbs:

slickooz
12-21-2010, 10:10 PM
You can prob try Odor Control Fogger.

POPPAJ
12-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Tomato juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, vodka and three olives......oops, wrong recipe.