glass pad came apart after first use

builthatch

Reaction score
i bought this pad a while back and never used it.

Lake Country 5.5 Inch Glass Polishing Pad

i opened the bag, put it on my makita and ran it at 2-3 with some product on my wife's windshield. when i went to do the other side, i grabbed the edge and noticed the "felt" backing was coming up. when i tried to pull the pad off of the backing plate while holding the felt too - the entire backing came off like it wasn't even attached in the first place! apparently the adhesive was either not there or flat out failed.

has anyone else's pad done this right off the bat?

do you think AG will take this one back/exchange even though i bought it a while back? i'm skeptical to get another one on exchange considering i didn't even get 5 minutes out of this one!

Yeah, let us know as I have 2 in my cart now.

i'll give them a call tomorrow. i'm putting in an order tonight too so maybe i can structure this just right. who knows.

thanks all. i'm curious if these glass pads normally do this.

i'll give them a call tomorrow. i'm putting in an order tonight too so maybe i can structure this just right. who knows.

thanks all. i'm curious if these glass pads normally do this.
Wonder if AG is closed tomorrow?

Hmm...I thought they had stopped making those pads...oh wait, it says "Item Temporarily on Back Order"...I think it's said that for the last year or more. This pad might be good for film or water spots but I don't think you're going to remove any swirls/scratches without those thin glass pads that they still sell.

The griots glass pads are well made and one pad hasn't failed yet and it comes as a 3 pack :)

The one that I have in my cart is a LC 4" pad..any good?

Had mine do the same, glued it back on for a second use and trashed it....should of called...oh well...

oh jeez i just read the reviews and two others had the same issue i had, like, exactly!

must have been a production issue, hence the discontinuation/BO/whatever.

Rsurfer, link to the 4" pads? i can't seem to find them. i'm curious if the reviews are similar.

I had the same problem with the one I ordered a couple of years ago. AG replaced it as soon as I emailed them and sent a photo. I have only used the new one twice though, because now I don't trust it.

I had the same problem with the one I ordered a couple of years ago. AG replaced it as soon as I emailed them and sent a photo. I have only used the new one twice though, because now I don't trust it.

i'll do that, but since they don't sell them any more i don't have my hopes too high ; )

What "product" were you using?

What are you trying to do? Remove below surface scratches in glass or just polish off some topical staining?

:xyxthumbs:

Optimum compound. i wanted to clean the entire thing of spots but the glass also has many many slight wiper scratches so i figured if it rounded them a bit it, between the compound and the pad, it would be a bonus.

i was going to spot test some of the Diamondite resurfacing creme i've had for a while but didn't get the chance with that pad.

Optimum compound. i wanted to clean the entire thing of spots but the glass also has many many slight wiper scratches so i figured if it rounded them a bit it, between the compound and the pad, it would be a bonus.

The compound will work to remove water spots off the surface of the glass but I highly doubt any paint compound and pad combination with a rotary buffer is to effectively abrade glass, been there, tried that many times.

i was going to spot test some of the Diamondite resurfacing creme i've had for a while but didn't get the chance with that pad.

The Diamondite Resurfacing Creme with the Lake Country Glass Polishing Pads will remove scratches like wiper marks out of the glass, just remember it's a messy process and a fairly slow process, it's not like buffing on paint at all.

The compound will work to remove water spots off the surface of the glass but I highly doubt any paint compound and pad combination with a rotary buffer is to effectively abrade glass, been there, tried that many times.

The Diamondite Resurfacing Creme with the Lake Country Glass Polishing Pads will remove scratches like wiper marks out of the glass, just remember it's a messy process and a fairly slow process, it's not like buffing on paint at all.

thanks Mike. yeah, i can imagine the creme dusts up/splatters. the grit in it is very apparent, so i am curious how it'll work on this windscreen once i can source another appropriate pad.

last night i ended up just using an orange pad and the optimum compound to remove the spots. even though the car has some years of windshield neglect, it worked very well at removing the surface deposits.

i've sent a letter into Autogeek customer service to see if there is any recourse with this item.

thanks all!

Back