sealant or wax

wgdauto

Dec 20, 2010
Corpus Christi
One of my customers has 2011 toyota tundra which was in an accident. He got it out of the body shop a month ago and is bringing it to me. Considering the paint is still somewhat new would a sealant be good, or just a wax? Thanks for the advice.

it depends on how he takes care of it normally. If he is one to wax it every couple months or is bringing it to
you for it, I would say wax. If he is one that goes about 6 months between waxing or parks his car outside 24/7, I would go with a sealant. Another alternative would be to apply a sealant, let it cure, and then top it with wax.

One of my customers has 2011 toyota tundra which was in an accident. He got it out of the body shop a month ago and is bringing it to me. Considering the paint is still somewhat new would a sealant be good, or just a wax? Thanks for the advice.

ideally it was baked AND that was a month ago, but to be completely honest, to assure yourself total liability coverage - i'd ask him who did the work and i'd have him call the body shop to ask about the timeline for sealing the finish with an LSP. they surely have their own recommendations.

if the body shop clears the truck to be protected, then the post above mine comes into play. it's a durability and/or preference issue, and however much you charge for either.

I would say it may even need a polish already. A light polish. Body shops are notorious for creating holograms.

depends on what a study shows. if it needs correction, and the customer wants to pay for it, then i agree it should be corrected. but it depends - some shops release stuff that is refined pretty well and some as you mention will leave the finish in a marred state.

This is why I love this site. So much great info. I've seen the truck it looks great. He's a regular customer comes in ever 2 to 3 months. I had been waxing but was going to up sell a sealant to protect it. But yeah getting a hold of the body shop is a good idea.