How do I get rid of these fine swirls?

Gizmo

Reaction score
I've managed to get rid of many of the light scratches and swirls on my 2008 Audi A4 with my Porter Cable + Meguiar Purple Cutting Pad + Menzerna Power Polish.

However, inspecting under my LED flash light. I noticed these fine swirls...

Should I set it up to a Super Intensive Polish ?

picture attached...

PS... Love this forum and thanks for the help in advance

the combo you used installed some of the swirls. whenever you go that agressive you will need to move down to a light polish and pad combo.

Try the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 with the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. A Lake Country Orange light cutting pad and white polishing pad, respectively should tackle the Audi's imperfections pretty well.

The purple cutting pad is too aggressive to finish down on almost any paint. Expect your Audi to be moderate to softer than average, and get some less aggressive pads.

Power Polish, IIRC AKA Power Gloss, is also too aggressive to finish down on almost any paint. You will need some less aggressive polish to finish down correctly.

So basically you need to finish what you started with the Power Gloss and the purple wool. This combo is quite aggressive and I would plan of finishing down in at least 2 more steps of refinement. If you have Menzerna, try something like 203, or 106 on a white pad, then 106 or 85 on a black pad (106 finishes down great on almost any paint with the proper pad). But understand the aggressiveness of the polish and pad so you can adjust your process as you inspect your work. And, most importantly, do a few "test sections" first to boil down the best process you can achieve.

I've managed to get rid of many of the light scratches and swirls on my 2008 Audi A4 with my Porter Cable + Meguiar Purple Cutting Pad + Menzerna Power Polish.

picture attached...

Did you use Power Gloss or Power Finish?

Did you use Power Gloss or Power Finish?

I used Power Finish.

Thanks for everyone's Input. I stepped down to a yellow pad

My Audi has such a hard clear coat, hence the reason I went with an aggressive combo. I actually tried the following last week

1) Meguiar's YELLOW Soft Buff Foam Polishing Pad (Amazon.com: Meguiar's W8006 6.5-Inch Soft Buff Foam Polishing Pad: Automotive) + Super Finish "Nano" PO106FA and it did not have much success removing some of the swirls

The Meguiar Purple pad + Power Finish (PO203) is probably too aggressive. The funny thing is, I couldn't see any of those fine scratches until I took out my maglite led flash light. I took my desk lamp right up to it and the imperfections left by this aggressive combo didn't even show.

I just went over my test area again, this time using the same power finish (po203) with the meguair yellow pad and it yield better results. I then went over it again using a SOFTER pad (Amazon.com: Meguiar's W9006 6.5-Inch Soft Buff Foam Finishing Pad: Automotive) with the Nano Finish.

I think this is as good as i can get it. I still see "some" swirls but only under scrutiny.

picture attached...

I used Power Finish.

Thanks for everyone's Input. I stepped down to a yellow pad

My Audi has such a hard clear coat, hence the reason I went with an aggressive combo. I actually tried the following last week

1) Meguiar's YELLOW Soft Buff Foam Polishing Pad (Amazon.com: Meguiar's W8006 6.5-Inch Soft Buff Foam Polishing Pad: Automotive) + Super Finish "Nano" PO106FA and it did not have much success removing some of the swirls

The Meguiar Purple pad + Power Finish (PO203) is probably too aggressive. The funny thing is, I couldn't see any of those fine scratches until I took out my maglite led flash light. I took my desk lamp right up to it and the imperfections left by this aggressive combo didn't even show.

I just went over my test area again, this time using the same power finish (po203) with the meguair yellow pad and it yield better results. I then went over it again using a SOFTER pad (Amazon.com: Meguiar's W9006 6.5-Inch Soft Buff Foam Finishing Pad: Automotive) with the Nano Finish.

I think this is as good as i can get it. I still see "some" swirls but only under scrutiny.
The reason your not getting all the swirls out is because the 6.5" pads are too big for the pc. Even the new XP model does not have enough power to spin the 6.5" pads. Do you have the 1st generation or the XP? You will be amazed what 5.5" pads will do on a pc for correction work.

The reason your not getting all the swirls out is because the 6.5" pads are too big for the pc. Even the new XP model does not have enough power to spin the 6.5" pads. Do you have the 1st generation or the XP? You will be amazed what 5.5" pads will do on a pc for correction work.

I bought the porter cable last week so i think its the lastest gen?
But good tip...

What is the theory behind "Finishing" with a lighter compound? How does it work

I bought the porter cable last week so i think its the lastest gen?
But good tip...

What is the theory behind "Finishing" with a lighter compound? How does it work

Certainly 5.5" pads will work better. Before I knew of 5.5" pads I was able to remove swirls from my Audi with the WG Twins by using good technique with a first gen PC. However, there were still some remain RIDS which I was only able to remove with Meg 105.

When using an aggressive compound there is often marring associated with removing the intended defects. This marring can then be removed with lighter better finishing polish.

Back