PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the lazy man method for daily drivers

PBoy
01-29-2011, 06:55 PM
In addition to my car I'm responsible to cleaning a few others.

I read you can apply DG105 and remove with AW in the same manner as you can apply OPS and remove with OCW.

But, in the case of the Duragloss products, wouldn't you remove much of the protection from DG105 using this method since it won't have time to cure?

Shawn T.
01-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Probably not. I don't foresee any problems with using AW as an aid to wipe off 105. Considering AW is a spray wax, any minimal protection that may be removed is simply added back on with AW.

dougaross
01-29-2011, 09:00 PM
If you mix Dg105 with DG601 3:1 it will cure in 2 hours.

PBoy
01-29-2011, 09:22 PM

thanks for that tip, but I'm trying to expedite the process ... not add 2 hours to it

does 601 extend the durability of 105 significantly? Or, is 105 durable as a stand alone product?

dougaross
01-29-2011, 09:54 PM
thanks for that tip, but I'm trying to expedite the process ... not add 2 hours to it

does 601 extend the durability of 105 significantly? Or, is 105 durable as a stand alone product?

From the DG601(PBA) description : "You can get double the protection and double the length of protection by simply adding one coat of PBA before your last step product. "

rwright
01-29-2011, 11:56 PM
In addition to my car I'm responsible to cleaning a few others.

I read you can apply DG105 and remove with AW in the same manner as you can apply OPS and remove with OCW.

But, in the case of the Duragloss products, wouldn't you remove much of the protection from DG105 using this method since it won't have time to cure?

Just curious why you want to do this?

Not saying you are wrong but where did you get this information?

You're not adding 2 hours to the process using DG 601, you are reducing the cure time to 2 hours. Most sealants require 12 hours cure time before adding an additional layer. The polish bonding agent accelerates the cure time, just as the product Zaino offers.

Yes 601 does extend the durability of 105, but 105 as a stand alone is still a durable polish. I'm currently testing 105 without the addition of 601 on my car and it is holding up very well. On my wife's 2011 Buick Regal I have one single coat of the 601/105 combo that I applied in November. The car has been exposed to a couple hand washes with DG 901, the touch less car wash almost weekly, no Aqua Wax boosting, and the car still beads like a champ. This Spring the car will be stripped, touch up polished, and coated with DG 601/501, then 2 coats of DG 601/105. The wheels and wheel wells will receive OptiCoat.

dougaross
01-30-2011, 12:17 AM

Not saying you are wrong but where did you get this information?

You're not adding 2 hours to the process using DG 601, you are reducing the cure time to 2 hours. Most sealants require 12 hours cure time before adding an additional layer. The polish bonding agent accelerates the cure time, just as the product Zaino offers.

Yes 601 does extend the durability of 105, but 105 as a stand alone is still a durable polish. I'm currently testing 105 without the addition of 601 on my car and it is holding up very well. On my wife's 2011 Buick Regal I have one single coat of the 601/105 combo that I applied in November. The car has been exposed to a couple hand washes with DG 901, the touch less car wash almost weekly, no Aqua Wax boosting, and the car still beads like a champ. This Spring the car will be stripped, touch up polished, and coated with DG 601/501, then 2 coats of DG 601/105. The wheels and wheel wells will receive OptiCoat.

This was from a conversation with Jerry at Duragloss. Ooops I misspoke ratio is 1:4 DG601 to DG105

dougaross
01-30-2011, 12:17 AM

Misspoke ratio is 4:1. sorry

rwright
01-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Misspoke ratio is 4:1. sorry

No, it's cool. I wonder if 3:1 will work just as good? Hmm...you may be on to something. I may call him and review this.

PBoy
01-30-2011, 01:20 AM

polish & apply LSP at the same time ... time is limited

Many AIO type products like KAIO and OPS don't require cure times ... they can be topped instantly

rwright
01-30-2011, 01:52 AM
I don't believe DG 105 is an all in one product. It has light cleaners in it but it's not a polish like you may be thinking. It's not in the same category as something like Meg's D151, meaning it does not have the ability to correct. You may want to look at 652 PC-2 or 671 Swirl Mark Remover. Even 501 doesn't have abrasives, just chemically cleans. To better address your question about using Aqua Wax to remove 105, I highly recommend calling Duragloss.

Sent using Tapatalk

dougaross
01-30-2011, 07:55 AM
I don't believe DG 105 is an all in one product. It has light cleaners in it but it's not a polish like you may be thinking. It's not in the same category as something like Meg's D151, meaning it does not have the ability to correct. You may want to look at 652 PC-2 or 671 Swirl Mark Remover. Even 501 doesn't have abrasives, just chemically cleans. To better address your question about using Aqua Wax to remove 105, I highly recommend calling Duragloss.

Sent using Tapatalk

Below is something I picked up from one or more threads (I apologize to author(s) for not giving proper credit).

111 CCP (Clear Coat Polish) is the sort of a pure sealant...lightest cleaning of them all..it says right on my box..cleans shines protects....but cleaner is very minimal at best....more of a Klasse SG look..very glossy. CCP is the same as 105 minus the cleaners. If you've just polished your car with a PC 7424 and some polish (Menzerma, etc.) you can use this instead of 105 since you dont need the cleaning. Can be used on top of the 105 to add additional depth and an additional coat of protection.

105... TPP (Total Protection Polish) a sealant with a cleaner. Again very light cleaner..will not remove a new cured sealer...has a warmer look since it is a polymer resin combo..made to mimic a waxed looked TPPs their flagship synthetic wax product. It contains cleaning agents

101..a cleaner sealant again...a stronger cleaning action than 105....provides a
wetter look 101 was their original product, which they still offer for people who like using it and don't want to switch. Intended for manual application

501...strongest cleaner sealant I have used....stuff will remove brake dust...auto emission grime that's deep in the paint..brings white paint to a new level. white shows how good it cleans..but it is a sealant also..and very durable..can be used as a stand alone product...has a wet glossy look...very slick also....
==================================
remove some light swirls/scratches with a white pad. Great AIO. Have mixed with OP for extended working time

on good paint just to clean and seal....with a blue pad speed 2-3 on a pc 1-2 on a flex

on lite marred paint I use a white pad..speed 3-4 on a pc and 2-3 on the flex

on medium marred paint I mix 106ff or SIP and 501 in a 4 oz bottle....I use 1 oz of 106ff or SIP and rest 501....use a white pad speed 4-5 pc 3-4 on flex....coarse green would be tops for pads...

try to find your best speed as conditions vary due to temps ...humidity....

you do not want to use a high speed as it will flash to fast before it does its cleaning...the slower the speed giving you results the better...

using a orange pad with it caused micro maring...as said...coarse green would be my top pad and only with a mix of menz and 501...

You need to wait 8 hours between coats of 105 and/or 111 to allow the polymer strands to interlock with each other and stabilize (my term)

================================================== ======
I use a flat LC Black pad to apply 501, if I need a little more bite I use a white pad, I use just a few pea size drops add as needed apply over the entire car. If you put 601 down first then apply 501 on top it will help 501 cure in approx 2 hours. Or mix 601/501 1:4 together in a small bottle and it will help to cure after buffing off.

The pads referenced above are LC pads...never used with edge pads.

I hand apply the DG products with round foam or cotton covered sponges you can buy at Autozone. The 111 comes with a foam sponge in the box.

I've had a few large vehicles to do lately and did not want to take the time to do both 601 and 105 so I spoke to Jerry at Duragloss and he suggested I combine the 2 in a 4 to 1 ratio of either 501 or 105 at 4 parts and 601 at one part. I bought a couple of cheap dollar store plastic ketchup dispensers and mixed 2 bottles up...one with 601/501 and one with 601/105. It worked like a champ. The only downside Jerry said is that the shelf life would be very short; measured in hours. I found that after 2 days it was maybe a bit thicker, but still working very well. This saves one step for each product (501 and 105) and saves time. In addition, you are still getting the benefit of the 601...flash cures, longer durability. Just mix up small batches and you'll be good to go. I used some more tonight and it was still fine after 4 days.
================================================== ======

Should I use 601 again for the second coat or go straight to the 105?
If you want to flash cure the 105 then yes. Jerry assured me that the cleaning ability of the 601 will not remove previous layers.

rwright
01-30-2011, 09:00 AM
That's interesting about the 501. I spoke to Jerry and he said 501 is a chemical cleaner with no abrasives; you can polish your car everyday and don't have to worry because your not removing paint.

Sent using Tapatalk

dougaross
01-30-2011, 09:11 AM
That's interesting about the 501. I spoke to Jerry and he said 501 is a chemical cleaner with no abrasives; you can polish your car everyday and don't have to worry because your not removing paint.

Sent using Tapatalk

Those comments did not mention abrasives. However, the foam pads will have some cut and maybe that's where the correction comes from.

I have talked to somebody at Duragloss who said they had diminishing abrasives (I believe we had this conversation before.:)) I plan on a test when weather warms. Finish with 085rd and then use 501 to see if it disrupts the finish.

BTW: 501 is a great wheel sealant. I did my wheels with 601/501 at the beginning of winter and they clean up in the coin-op rinse without even needing agitation.

PBoy
01-30-2011, 11:38 AM
I don't believe DG 105 is an all in one product.

I don't consider AIO's to have significant correction abilities.

DG105 is a sealant with some chemical cleaners much like KAIO, but not as strong as DG501