Maintenence suggestions?

MikeBit

Reaction score
Hey AG,

I'd like some advice on how to maintain my paint properly after a very tedious detail job almost 7 months ago.

So here I am 7 months later, and my car still looks damn good. Except for an area which I carelessly micro-marred using Meg's Scratch X to remove some water spots (idiot me, I forgot to use a light polish afterward to fix up any kind of marks due to an aggressive compound), the car is still almost swirl-free. I plan on using a green pad + Menzerna's Power Finish to fix up that panel at a speed of 5. It should get the job done (the micro marring can only be seen at an angle under direct sunlight).

Now, I plan on going over the entire car again but I was wondering if using Menzerna's Super Finish + a blue pad is all I need?? There are practically no swirls (except for my rear bumper, which is plastic. another green pad run-over should take care of that too) or marks on the car since my last detail, which tells me I've done a damn good job washing properly. Will the super finish bring out a lot of shine again? I'll go over it with sealant and wax afterward as well.

Does anyone have any tips on how to wash plastic more effectively minimizing swirls? I washed my rear bumper the same way I washed the rest of the car, but it ended up producing swirls when the rest of the car hasn't. Weird.

Anyway, you guys get the picture right? Just doing a mid-year touch-up and I don't want to overdo anything.

Thanks AG

It would help if you blasted the yuck off your car before washing. Use a pressure washer or DIY wash

:iagree: A pressure rinse is always a good start. A Foam Cannon pre-soak then pressure pre-wash rinse is even better.

I'm pretty sure the paint that goes on plastic parts like bumpers has a "flex agent" so the paint can flex with the bumper. This may be the culprit here. That or it's because your wash mitt got dirty from washing the rest of the car first PLUS the lower areas tend to be dirtier anyway. Maybe when leaning down to get the bumper (likely at the end of your wash routine) your more careless and apply more pressure, causing wash induced marring.

If your car only has very minimal light swirls a finishing polish and finishing pad, like Menz super finish and grey/blue LC pad, will be fine. For any troublesome area's, step it up a notch then finish it out (this time :poke:).

Back