Wheel Polishing???

siX 5.0

Reaction score
Wsup all, I'm having some trouble polishing these wheels for a customer. The wheels are 17" Cobra R replicas. They are polished Aluminum and the metal is in decent shape, but I cannot get a decent shine out of em... I have attacked one wheel with multiple metal polishing products (Flitz, Megs and Surf City) Using Megs Power Cone and some some elbo grease. I have also test spotted with 2000 grit wet-sand paper and 0000 Steel wool. No matter what process I use, the end result is the same (cloudy). I'm fresh out of ideas? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

They are polished Aluminum and the metal is in decent shape, but I cannot get a decent shine out of em... No matter what process I use, the end result is the same (cloudy).

I've got OEM polished aluminum GM rims and polished aluminum isn't supposed to shine like chrome. As far as I know, they will always look somewhat cloudy or hazy, but that's how they're supposed to look.

Here's what they look like:
http://images.dealerrevs.com/pictures/36543216.jpg

when using the aluminun polish does the rag tunr black? jonathan

when using the aluminun polish does the rag tunr black? jonathan

Those rims were originally clear coated.

As jonathan asked, did your applicator turn black when using a metal polish?

I'm thinking you're rubbing on the clear coat and not the aluminum, hence it not getting shinier.

If they are bare aluminum, the issue could be the quality of the aluminum and the finish itself. You mentioned they were "replica" R's.....

Sorry my fault, I should have stated that these wheels are not clear coated (the rag defiantly turns black). Also, after looking at one of my pics specifically made me second guess myself LOL. I think your right about the metal quality... I'm just not ready to give up yet.

I would turn the rim around an work a spot on the back side to see if you could make a difference. Wet sand a spot then just work on one small spot. Jonathan

Back