PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump?!?!?

ALLN1WASH
02-19-2011, 06:55 PM
How's it going fellas? I just rearranged my Astro van setup and upgraded to a 140g water tank. The new tank is now located at the rear of the van and the (Honda) PW is still mounted at the side door. With that said, I'm forced to use 5ft of hose and now believe I need a pump. I'm not getting any pressure or water for that matter at the discharge. Which type of pump can I use to improve this problem. Honestly I'm looking for the most frugal way of correction. Headed to HD now, hoping for some feedback soon.
Thanks AG.Feed back please

tuscarora dave
02-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Determine how many GPM your pressure washer puts out and exceed that GPM rating with your transfer pump. So if your PW puts out 4 GPM you will want at least a 5 GPM pump between the tank and PW. Don't get too far out of that range or you'll have to rig up a recirc loop to keep the pump from dead heading.

ALLN1WASH
02-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Okay, thanks for the info Dave. I just left Harbor Freight And there was an in line 260gph pump that required a 12v battery to opperate. My PW is 3.5 gpm, so with the info you suggest, this will work right?!? I'm now at HD and checking their pumps.
Anyway, the sales person @ Harbor freight recommended that if I purchased their pump, I should just use a small marine battery to operate. What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks

tuscarora dave
02-19-2011, 07:39 PM
That pump should do the trick at about 4.3 GPM. yes a deep Cycle Marine Battery is what I would use. If you wire up a charging circuit to your van's charging system you may want to get a disconnecting switch to isolate it from your starting battery while the pump is in use so you don't drain your van's battery.

ALLN1WASH
02-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Hey Dave, thanks for the input buddy. I actually went and purchased the pump this morning and turns out , I didn't even need it. As I began to disconnect the hose from PW, I guess the hose vented and started pouring water from the tank. I quickly reconnected the hose to PW and 6 cars later, it's still operating smoothly.
You'd think, with me being around fire engines every third day, I would've thought about bleeding the air.

Anyhow, thanks for the advise, talk to you later Dave.