Removing scratches headlight?

slickooz

Reaction score
My friend wanted to buy these head lights and wanted if these scratches were removable. It's kind of hard for me to see because of lighting but how would you guys proceed removing these?

Start at 400 grit and move up?

headlights004.jpg

That's probably around where i would start. I have 500 grit, 1200 grit, and 2000 grit. Then I'd use heavy compound, M-105 then finish with M-205

I would go ahead with the 400 since that is what I keep on hand as well.

Thanks everyone! So after sanding use M105/205? What should I use to protect them?

400 dry, 400 wet, 600 wet, 1000 wet, 2000 wet. M105 Wool Pad, M105 Orange LC Pad, M205 White LC Pad. DP Poli Seal

Thanks everyone for the tips!!! Going have to buy a lot of sand papers. :)

Do they sell wool pads for DA?

I seriously doubt a wax/sealant will offer any real/significant protection to headlights after the factory coating has been conpromised. You need a dedicated urethane to return it to factory specs. Or you could use Opti-Coat. If you don't do this you will further the deterioration fo the lens and untimately keep destroying it by sanding/buffing in the future when the failure returns.

Most times when I write to correct a scratch on a light, the shop will insist on coating them. There's way too many hacks down here (and throughout the country) that only offer light buffing(w/o protecting them) but in actuallity are only doing a disservice to their customers by their ignorance.

I seriously doubt a wax/sealant will offer any real/significant protection to headlights after the factory coating has been conpromised. You need a dedicated urethane to return it to factory specs. Or you could use Opti-Coat. If you don't do this you will further the deterioration fo the lens and untimately keep destroying it by sanding/buffing in the future when the failure returns.

Most times when I write to correct a scratch on a light, the shop will insist on coating them. There's way too many hacks down here (and throughout the country) that only offer light buffing(w/o protecting them) but in actuallity are only doing a disservice to their customers by their ignorance.

There's now a third option as well with the new "Heavy Duty" headlight restoration kit Meguiar's came out with this year. It includes a bottle of "headlight protectant" that is supposed to provide viable long-lasting protection. I have a bottle of it sitting here that I have yet to try, but I'm looking forward to testing its claims come spring on some customer vehicles.

There's now a third option as well with the new "Heavy Duty" headlight restoration kit Meguiar's came out with this year. It includes a bottle of "headlight protectant" that is supposed to provide viable long-lasting protection. I have a bottle of it sitting here that I have yet to try, but I'm looking forward to testing its claims come spring on some customer vehicles.

Jury's still out on the "headlight protectant" as it appears (until I get further clarification) that it's a temporary type product. I actually started a thread on MOL asking specifically about the longenvity of this product. We'll see how it goes...

Jury's still out on the "headlight protectant" as it appears (until I get further clarification) that it's a temporary type product. I actually started a thread on MOL asking specifically about the longenvity of this product. We'll see how it goes...

I'll have to go look for your MOL thread and see what folks are saying. I don't mind if it is a temporary product, the main questions become "how temporary?" and "is it any better than just using a regular wax/sealant?"

When you read my thread you'll see what my requirements are for a product of this sort. Let me know if you don't and I'll explain in more detail.

When you read my thread you'll see what my requirements are for a product of this sort. Let me know if you don't and I'll explain in more detail.

Found the thread and you're right, I wasn't even thinking about it from a warranty perspective as you're looking at. Especially where you're at in Florida that becomes a major concern since you get a lot more UV than we do here in northern climates.

Quite frankly I don't get too many headlight restorations here simply because they take a lot longer to get to the point of being "bad" and thus any sort of protection being applied will tend to last more than it would in a harsher climate.

I am curious though, is the "specialty clearcoat" you're referring to just the Helmsman Spar Urethane product many have talked about on forums, or is this an automotive-specific product? I seem to recall that SEM makes a sealant/coating that is specifically meant for clear plastics and composite materials, but I've never really looked that closely at it.

Back