PDA

View Full Version : cleaning new tires

killrflake
02-26-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm about to buy some new tires for wheels I will be putting on my car this spring (spring can't come soon enough for me). The tire manufacturers put some kind of protective film on the tires that I've found quite difficult to remove. I've tried several brands of tire cleaner that were purchased from Autogeek in the past without much luck and friends have even sugjested I use a a Brillo pad. Can any of the pros hanging out on the site give me any ideas on a product that will remove this film without being too harsh on the rubber? Thanks in advance for the help.

rwright
02-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Bleche-Wite, straight up. This is the last resort for stubborn tire dressings, you know those silicone based dressings.

Setec Astronomy
02-26-2011, 11:55 PM
It's not protective film, it's mold release. I find it usually wears off pretty quickly but you can try an APC at high concentration, or I imagine IPA may work.

JonMiles
02-27-2011, 01:00 AM
It's not protective film, it's mold release. I find it usually wears off pretty quickly but you can try an APC at high concentration, or I imagine IPA may work.

IPA will turn tires brown really quickly. It degrades antiozonate very readily. I wouldn't recommend IPA for tires; just stick to a strong dilution of APC and you'll be all set. The right brush for the job will help make life easier.

BobbyG
02-27-2011, 06:58 AM
For stubborn grime Meguiar's Super Degreaser works well otherwise an all purpose cleaner does the trick.

Another product I've been fortunate enough to test is Amazing Roll Off. I tried it last fall and have to say this worked very well. I'm looking forward to using it more extensively this summer..:props:

dad07
02-27-2011, 08:22 AM
+1 on ARO !

James K
02-27-2011, 08:24 AM
I am a huge fan of Amazing Roll Off. I use it diluted, but in your case full strength would probably be best.

killrflake
02-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks for all the imput. Now that it's been mentioned, I seem to remember hearing that the film on new tires is mold release, but thanks for reminding me and all the sugjestions for getting it off.

DARK HORSE
02-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Amazing Roll Off... Rinse your tires first with plain water from the hose. Then spray ARO full strength onto wet tires, let dwell for only a few minutes (do not let it dry on the tire, it won't hurt it, it's just not as affective). ARO is water activated. Scrub with a tire brush, keeping tire wet with ARO/water and rinse. Sit back and be amazed!

mleach82
02-27-2011, 09:05 PM
I'll second the blech-white. I always keep some handy for the most stubborn tires.