sealant for wheels

poweraid

Reaction score
in need of info and product suggestions to seal wheels. aftermarket and stock wheels , chrome or not . something to withstand winter weather and road salt and would leave a nice shine still . I already use wheel wax and assuming a sealant would be more durable .

I use " wheel wax" brand right now but could use something more durable and longer lasting . I do use and have collinite 845 on the paint . I know 845 is pretty durable I'll have to give that a try for when winter rolls around here in Wisconsin

If you include IW845, then should one include FK1000P?

Al,

Good point! I've never tried Finish Kare 1000P but it seems to have a nice following and a product that I should try...:props:

i am also finishing a tub of the "wheel wax". applied every so often i always got great results. i have heard DP wheel glaze is really good! also i am a 845 user, and heard its outstanding on the wheels. i will have to try it there.

and then there is C5 WHEEL ARMOR. been reading up on it. a true sealant that lasts months! a video of the product after 9 months......

[video=youtube_share;wD_sbYTuN9w&feature=related] - G-Techniq C5 9 months on[/video]

i am also finishing a tub of the "wheel wax". applied every so often i always got great results. i have heard DP wheel glaze is really good! also i am a 845 user, and heard its outstanding on the wheels. i will have to try it there.

David,

I used Collinite 845 on my wheels for a few years before trying a dedicated wheel product and found it does a great job. Collinite 845 leaves a nice protective coating that really repels brake dust and makes washing a cinch.

I'm not sure if the dedicated wheel products work better or last longer than Collinite 845. From what I've read they are reported to be "tougher" and last longer than regular wax but Collinite 845 is no regular wax....

no doubt i am convinced on the 845! i even put my second coat on last weekend. 845 is just one of those products that stands alone.

good info guys , I'm just starting to use 845 on paint and once fall- winter rolls around I'm gonna apply it to wheels, stainless exhaust tips , and all my chrome add on's . but I do have the collinite metal wax too so I'm assuming that is some durable stuff too. one product to protect multiple exterior finishes . did u know or yesterday anyways 845 was or is bogo .

I have some wheels for my truck , pro comp extremes, they are gloss black with machined accents. they do shine up pretty good of course not like chrome. I got these instead of chrome just cause can't afford 2 sets of wheels and tires . figured these would be more durable than chrome using them throughout the winter here in Wisconsin. prob had them for 2-3 years now and they r kinda takin a beating. I prob need to def take more care in the winter to keep these lookin good

I have recently switched to Ultima tire and trim guard for my wheels. Last longer than even 845 ant it really helps prevent brake dust build up. I find that most wheel cleaners will not take it off unlike wheel wax.

Im also looking for a polish for wheels and a "pad" to polish wheels i was thinking maybe the flitz ball or cone polisher? any input

+1 for Collinite, I just used 476 on my wheels last fall for winterizing in preparation for the harsh Pennsylvania winter we had and was impressed at how well it held up on my daily driver. I drove 10K+ miles over the 5 months it was on there and was impressed with the dirt repellency and ease of cleaning.

I am experimenting with Gtechniq C5 wheel armor and results so far 3 months in are excellent, but it can be cost prohibitive at ~$50 per ounce (used ~.5 ounce on 4 - 17" wheels).

Tried Wheel Wax years back and was not impressed, it was difficult to remove if left on for too long and durability was not that great. In stark contrast, 476 was a breeze to apply/remove and has the added benefit of use on painted surfaces. Highly recommend either 476 or 845 depending on your preference of paste versus liquid application.

+1 on Ultima Tire and Trim, I like this stuff over all the wax products I have used on wheels because a) the gloss is awesome (very thick film of protection), b) very easy to apply to crevices, c) extremely durable when applied to naked paint, d) does a great job staying clean / washing itself / preventing dust bonding. Oh, and to emphasize how easy it is to use on small surfaces, it takes me about 10-15 minutes to thoroughly coat a set of four intricate wheels plus another 5 minutes of light mf buffing of flat surfaces after a short dry time (10-20min). On the other hand, waxing intricate wheels can take me over an hour and if the wheels are on the car this is not any fun at all.

I think any durable sealant will work well. That being said, I love DG 501 and/or 105 over 601. Then I like UTTG on tires and a wipe on the wheel after. Last a spritz of Spray Wax. DG AW, 4 Star or CG V7 Hybrid. This works well until Im bored and reapply. I cant say how long it could last!

wheel wax I don't mind it , it cleans and protects but it is hard to remove . I don't know if I'm using too much or letting it sit to long , that's the only thing I don't like about it . I use a cone polisher and foam pad . first initial cleaning prob like 30-45 mins a wheel , the removal is what takes so long . I even spray a little water on it after it dries to help aid in removal . something easier to remove would be great. I got 2 unopened jars of wheel wax still though

wheel wax I don't mind it , it cleans and protects but it is hard to remove . I don't know if I'm using too much or letting it sit to long , that's the only thing I don't like about it . I use a cone polisher and foam pad . first initial cleaning prob like 30-45 mins a wheel , the removal is what takes so long . I even spray a little water on it after it dries to help aid in removal . something easier to remove would be great. I got 2 unopened jars of wheel wax still though
DG is a breeze to remove!

Back