QUICK drying / curing sealants ??

jbgrant

Reaction score
I want to be able to offer a sealant + wax package for mobile detailing, but most of my sealants need 4-8+ hours before applying wax to ensure the solvent wax carrier doesn't strip the sealant. What are the best, reasonably-priced sealants that can be applied and top coated in hurry for commercial use? Also, do these sealants play nice with wax, or do they make it a PITA to spread evenly and bond well?

Thanks!

Joel

not sure if CG blacklight is considered a sealant or a hybrid of some sort but it can be topped in 15-30 minutes apparently. I haven't topped it yet, still trying to gauge it's durability by itself.

Shouldn't be a problem to top, DP max wax would be a good topper

Or you could just put collinite 845 on and call it a day!

poorboys ex-p. if you read the description its says you can top off a wax with it-

Last edited:
not sure if CG blacklight is considered a sealant or a hybrid of some sort but it can be topped in 15-30 minutes apparently. I haven't topped it yet, still trying to gauge it's durability by itself.

Shouldn't be a problem to top, DP max wax would be a good topper

Or you could just put collinite 845 on and call it a day!

I have CG Wet Mirror Finish and have used that under waxes with reasonable satisfaction, but I don't really know if I'm stripping it off cause I really don't know what it is or how it works....? This is a problem i have with CG sealant/waxes/glazes, I'm never quite sure how to best use them or where they fit into the typical "autogeek" system.

I really want to offer a sealant + wax system that is actually effective. Ideally the sealant protects under the wax for 3-6 months or better, and the wax offers more depth and a wonderful feel for 1-3 months or more.

I'm also considering Reload as a top coat products to use over solvent-based sealants since it is water-based and would not strip the sealant after it was cured. I would appreciate more feedback on Reload as it sounds like a very nice aqua sealant with better than typical sheeting (protection from water spots).

poorboys ex-p. if you read the description its says you can top off a wax with it-

Hmm, I would rather go sealant --> wax, not wax --> sealant. At least that seems to be the conventional wisdom.... I like to be able to try to explain the purpose of these products to a customer with some consistency.

If you want the perfect sealant/carnuba wax combo you can't do better than going with the Blackfire Wet Diamond/ Ivory Sun Wax combo. The look is unsurpassed in my opinion and you get 5-6 months protection with that combo. Want to make it pop even more...put an application of Extreme EZ Creme Glaze just before Wet Diamond Sealant. All these products are designed to work together so there us no risk.

I want to be able to offer a sealant + wax package for mobile detailing, but most of my sealants need 4-8+ hours before applying wax to ensure the solvent wax carrier doesn't strip the sealant. What are the best, reasonably-priced sealants that can be applied and top coated in hurry for commercial use? Also, do these sealants play nice with wax, or do they make it a PITA to spread evenly and bond well?

Thanks!

Joel

This sealant/wax package--is this what the customer wants? Are they willing to pay for this added service? You could take this opportunity to explain to them the whys/benefits of a 'proper' cure/crosslinking time (with no moisture introduced during said cure time) for sealants--and that a subsequent wax application would require a return visit.

After proper curing, you'll find that most sealants "play" nicely with most low solvent waxes (ex.: Pinnacle Souveran)

If you want the perfect sealant/carnuba wax combo you can't do better than going with the Blackfire Wet Diamond/ Ivory Sun Wax combo. The look is unsurpassed in my opinion and you get 5-6 months protection with that combo. Want to make it pop even more...put an application of Extreme EZ Creme Glaze just before Wet Diamond Sealant. All these products are designed to work together so there us no risk.

Thanks, I had no knowledge of Blackfire. There is an article on their poly/acrylic sealants here. According to this source (and others found googling), like most every other sealant I have found, it needs 8 hours between coats or waxing.

This sealant/wax package--is this what the customer wants? Are they willing to pay for this added service? You could take this opportunity to explain to them the whys/benefits of a 'proper' cure/crosslinking time (with no moisture introduced during said cure time) for sealants--and that a subsequent wax application would require a return visit.
)

If I can offer a sealant + wax in one detail session, the customer *might* bite on it if the benefits are real and can be communicated. Yes, it can be a two day process, but that's more money and time and trips around town.

If I can offer a sealant + wax in one detail session, the customer *might* bite on it if the benefits are real and can be communicated. Yes, it can be a two day process, but that's more money and time and trips around town.

Your 'time/trips around town' for this add-on should be part of the charge levied to a customer which in turn is more money for you for your services!

:iagree:

Its such a coincidence that I did this combo yesterday on a black g37. Ez creme > BFWD > Midnight sun. I was able to get away with it because it was a pretty warm sunny day so the sealant was able to cure faster(I feel heat greatly accelerates curing time.)

For super fast topping, any DG sealant(105,501,111) / DG601 at a 4:1 ratio will flash cure the sealant once applied.

I really want to offer a sealant + wax system that is actually effective. Ideally the sealant protects under the wax for 3-6 months or better, and the wax offers more depth and a wonderful feel for 1-3 months or more.

Another vote for Poorboys. Their EX-P is a pure sealant. Sets in 30 minutes or less. I get 2-3 months from that on my daily driver. Can be followed-up / topped with wax of your choice.

On quicker jobs, their EX is the same sealant with a bit of carnuba wax to add depth. Similar 2-3 months in my experience.

Opti Seal can be applied over the top of a wax or you can wax with Optimum Car Wax as soon as the Opti Seal has flashed which is only a matter of minutes.

That is pretty fast and pretty easy.

Back