PDA

View Full Version : OTC car soap vs car soap from ag?

Pages : [1] 2

DjbuddyPL
05-01-2011, 09:27 AM
whats the difference between car soap from the store(meguires, eagle one,armrol,black magic) to Dp, WG ect....?

heynicebits
05-01-2011, 09:46 AM
quality. some store brands are good, they just may have extra additives that can make scratching your paint much easier.

It's pretty much a different target market. I think most consumers expect a car wash to be an All in One and not just a shampoo. Companies respond by adding all kinds of stuff to cram all the steps into 1.

DjbuddyPL
05-01-2011, 10:00 AM
i use eagle one nanowash, is that any good?

Crazy Amos
05-01-2011, 10:18 AM
OTC washes typically are not as lubricated, not as gentle on your lsp, not concentrated, highly over priced considering the lack of concentration, and do not rinse as well.

I haven't used the eagle wash but it is probably a decent wash.

DARK HORSE
05-01-2011, 10:23 AM
There are some VERY good OTC soaps; such as Duragloss 901(available at Carquest, NAPA, and many other auto parts stores), as well as Meguiars Gold Class (available at Walmart, Kmart, and many other stores). Both are also carried by Autogeek as well...

Crazy Amos
05-01-2011, 10:37 AM
There are some VERY good OTC soaps; such as Duragloss 901(available at Carquest, NAPA, and many other auto parts stores), as well as Meguiars Gold Class (available at Walmart, Kmart, and many other stores). Both are also carried by Autogeek as well...

I actually turned my grandpa onto DG products because he has a car quest down the street from his house in South Carolina.

He loves em. Then again who does t.

silverfox
05-01-2011, 10:52 AM
One of the best car soaps on the planet is under $10 and can be bought over the counter at carquest and other places....duragloss 901.

Lasthope05
05-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I dont think there is really such a huge gap between the two. Some really good OTC soaps are Mothers, Meguiars, Duragloss, and Autoglym. Also the only reason the price between the two are so different is because boutique brands are very small companies compared to mega corporate guys like Mothers and Meguairs. When you buy chemicals in bulk, the more you buy the cheaper it is, which in turn makes the overall final product really affordable for consumers.

builthatch
05-01-2011, 11:34 AM
many OTC soaps are made for people who wash their car every once in a while, so they have hardcore surfactants and emulsifiers in them, not unlike dish soap, but not as aggressive. these components attack your wax or sealant. also, many of them don't have the polymers to provide the same lubricity and/or handle the dirt the same way, which can contribute wash-induced marring.

Flash Gordon
05-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Intresting read

I'm staying out of this one :dig:

Nick B
05-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I know it's not OTC but how about Griot's Car Wash ?

heynicebits
05-01-2011, 02:21 PM

I would consider griots a higher end wash because its very slippery and easy on the paint. It's a good wash, but i think if youre going to be buying in bulk other brands may have better performance/ cost effectiveness.

James K
05-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Some Advance Auto Parts now carry Griots products.

5.4 Shelby
05-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Thats all I use. I buy it by the gallon and it lasts me a long time.

BobbyG
05-01-2011, 04:43 PM

Hey Tad,

I never really considered Duragloss 901 as an over the counter car wash. I have a Carquest near me so I'll have to stop in!! :props:

Duragloss 901 is one of my favorite car washes. I really like the way it suds up and keeps everything super slick throughout the wash...