PDA

View Full Version : New and Terrified

Pages : 1 [2]

embolism
05-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Welcome, Chris! First off something that no one else mentioned is to HAVE FUN detailing. Secondly have fun. And last ummmm have fun! Detailing can be very rewarding when you see the final results. Sounds like you have a very nice collection thus far. Best of luck.

exsqueeze me

I believe I said it

:righton:

Shane731
05-02-2011, 03:58 PM
:welcome: to Autogeek Chris! Nice collection of cars you have there. :props:

Where do you live? You might be able to find a member near you willing to help you and take you through the steps necessary to take your cars to their maximum potential. :xyxthumbs:

Market Top
05-02-2011, 04:12 PM
:welcome: to Autogeek Chris! Nice collection of cars you have there. :props:

Where do you live? You might be able to find a member near you willing to help you and take you through the steps necessary to take your cars to their maximum potential. :xyxthumbs:

Live is sunny sunny Pittsburgh! That would be nice, maybe someone will offer. But I'm sure I have "the motions" down - thanks to the afore mentioned video's by Mike. I'm not really scared of burning the paint (perhaps I should be :o) given the products I have chosen, guess I'm more concerned about putting IN swirls / hazing rather than taking them out. Guess its kind of like trying to fix your own plumbing only to make a mess of things and then realizing you have to call in a pro to fix your mistakes (and costs 2x what it would have from the outset). Honestly, I'm tired of reading and ready to DO! On the wife's car first....but I think I've mentioned that before :xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
05-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Honestly, I'm tired of reading and ready to DO!

Good to hear!

The way forums work for people new to detailing is to read and research and read and research and then ask some questions... and at some point it's time to push away from the keyboard and go out into the garage and bring the buffer down onto the paint!

And that's where the magic starts to happen...

I'm confident you're going to do GREAT!

:buffing:

Market Top
05-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Good to hear!

The way forums work for people new to detailing is to read and research and read and research and then ask some questions... and at some point it's time to push away from the keyboard and go out into the garage and bring the buffer down onto the paint!

And that's where the magic starts to happen...

I'm confident you're going to do GREAT!

:buffing:

Thank you! This forum and your video's have helped a TON!!! I'll post some picks of pre/post for constructive comments.

Dr Oldz
05-02-2011, 04:35 PM
exsqueeze me

I believe I said it

:righton:

Didn't see that. My bad:doh:

vinyldoctor
05-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Just joined and I’m terrified!! :buffing: Sad to say but I’m a “wash and dry” guy and the only detailing "experience" I have is speed shining. Sad but true. But for some reason I am now on a mission to learn to detail my cars. I have purchased all the toys (flex orbital being my main cause of panic at the moment) and have read TONS of stuff on line – even for a new guy it was easy to find those who knew what they were doing. The video’s Autogeek (Mike) have done are fantastic. Its one thing to read but far different to see in done “live”. So a big thank you to Autogeek for all the information. For now, all the “stuff” remains in boxes until I get the garage floor painted – then the fun begins. My plan is to start with my wife’s DD (silver BMW X3) then move to the Basalt Black 911 then finally the Blue Murcielago. I'm terrifed of screwing up the paint on the latter two. One question for the pro’s here – is there anything special about the paint on any of these cars I should be aware of before I begin – like softness? I’ll attach a photo (not the best resolution) to show the colors.

Thanks – and I look forward to reading an learning as I go.
Chris

It is scary until you get confidense.
one of my tools is a heatgun that will go over 1100 degrees.
I am so afraid I will mess up someones interior even worse.
and a customer looking over my shoulder drives me nuts, here whats that? how do you use it? what does it cost. yadda yadda yadda. It got so I put my chemicals in other containers with labels only I can understand. now it's not colored bulldog, it's pro #1.