Headlight Restoration

daves120

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Yesterday I performed my first headlight restoration and it was on my girlfriend's Ford Tauras. I did not take pictures along the way because I was trying to determine the process. The first headlight took about an hour an fifteen minutes and the second about 20 minutes. Below is how they looked before I started.

DSCN0414.JPG

DSCN0413.JPG

The correction process is as follows: Utilizing my Griot's 3" ROB I wetsanded using 500, 800, 1500 and 3000 grit 3" discs. The buffer just would not act right when polishing the headlights. It bogged down way to easy, which made it way to frustrating, so it was put aside. I broke out my Flex 3401 and CCS 6.5" inch pads. First was an orange pad with Optimum compound. Second was a white pad with Optimum polish. Finally was a gray pad with Optimum finish polish. Then the headlights were sealed with Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0.

Below is the end result. For this being my first headlight restoration, I am very pleased with the outcome and believe the headlights should look this good for quite a while!

DSCN0420.JPG

DSCN0421.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/32321/size/big/cat//ppuser/28467

That looks 100% better Have you ever considered using a drill?

very nice, still scared to wet sand.

You could sand on that till Tuesday and still not damage it. Headlites are a great place to gain sanding expierence

:iagree: The GG 3" does a good job when sanding but does bog especially w/ 4" pads. Have to crank it up. So when it's time to polish I switch to the drill.

Thanks for the replies. Can someone recommend the drill attachment and where to purchase?

You could sand on that till Tuesday and still not damage it. Headlites are a great place to gain sanding expierence
I use a rotary with small pads and start with Plastix or something like Sup Int Polish then go down to Final polish, works well for me. Just wish that I could get the inside yellowing out.

Great job i see's the light brother i see's the light.
Superb job...

Hey Folks,

Yesterday I performed my first headlight restoration and it was on my girlfriend's Ford Tauras. I did not take pictures along the way because I was trying to determine the process. The first headlight took about an hour an fifteen minutes and the second about 20 minutes. Below is how they looked before I started.

DSCN0414.JPG

DSCN0413.JPG

The correction process is as follows: Utilizing my Griot's 3" ROB I wetsanded using 500, 800, 1500 and 3000 grit 3" discs. The buffer just would not act right when polishing the headlights. It bogged down way to easy, which made it way to frustrating, so it was put aside. I broke out my Flex 3401 and CCS 6.5" inch pads. First was an orange pad with Optimum compound. Second was a white pad with Optimum polish. Finally was a gray pad with Optimum finish polish. Then the headlights were sealed with Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0.

Below is the end result. For this being my first headlight restoration, I am very pleased with the outcome and believe the headlights should look this good for quite a while!

DSCN0420.JPG

DSCN0421.JPG
good job on the lights

Back