PDA

View Full Version : Wheelwax

Pages : [1] 2

Y2KSVT
05-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Hey guys. Who here has used, or still uses Wheelwax on their wheels? I'm talking the specific brand "Wheelwax." I'm hoping this isn't one of those purchases I regret buying. I remember reading positive reviews last year, so I went ahead and bought some earlier this month. Now I'm curious if I should have done some more reading.

First off, is it safe for painted and clear coated wheels? The description talks about chrome and polished wheels.

How long does it typically last?

Is it whipe on / whipe off?

Is it difficult to work with?

Thanks for the input!

Mark

poweraid
05-24-2011, 04:28 PM
I have used wheelwax brand for a few years . it really does shine up the wheels and give some protection . I found it hard to remove , maybe I was using to much but I also used mothers cone . had to use a little h20 or detail spray to help get off. I have just used dp wheel glaze and I just love that stuff . easy to apply easy to remove . as far as how long wheelwax last, idk . I just reapply every month or when I do a full tire and wheel clean . if u like to try it before buying it, pm me . I'll be switching to dp wheel glaze or even on wheel sealant

FUNX650
05-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Hey guys. Who here has used, or still uses Wheelwax on their wheels? I'm talking the specific brand "Wheelwax." I'm hoping this isn't one of those purchases I regret buying. I remember reading positive reviews last year, so I went ahead and bought some earlier this month. Now I'm curious if I should have done some more reading.

First off, is it safe for painted and clear coated wheels? The description talks about chrome and polished wheels.

How long does it typically last?

Is it whipe on / whipe off?

Is it difficult to work with?

Thanks for the input!

Mark

A couple of years ago American Racing merged with Wheel Wax--I feel that is a good sign, being with American Racing's heritage and reputation. I have used it and I like it!

1. Wheel Wax states: Safe for clear-coated wheels; safe for Billet aluminum wheels (along with chrome and polished) it seems for all wheel types.

2. Longevity depends on environment you drive in and the type of car shampoo used to clean (Wheel Wax recommends a mild shampoo including their own, of course.

3. Except for Billet aluminum wheels, wipe on, let it haze, wipe off. ( for additional shine they suggest after the above procedure--mist wheels with cool water and buff to a higher sheen)

4. Not difficult to work with. The exception once again is billet aluminum--if one lets the wax haze too long it will more difficult to wipe off.

I feel you didn't make a poor/bad choice in selecting this product. Hope this helps.

ScottB
05-24-2011, 05:06 PM
I didnt like it, kinda messy and didnt last very long. I find the DP and Poorboys versions more durable.

James K
05-24-2011, 06:04 PM
I don't regret the fact I have it, but it is not the best I have used. It does a good job, and does make the wheels easier to clean, but does not last long.

Dr Oldz
05-24-2011, 07:22 PM
I have used it for years. I always found it to be easy on and off. It does work on all chrome really well. But currently I really do not use it because I find the durability to be pretty poor. Collinite 845 or UTTG is what I use on wheels anymore.

Y2KSVT
05-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the feedback you all provide. :xyxthumbs:

Mark

BobbyG
05-24-2011, 09:21 PM
I've tested a bunch of wheel products and Poorboy's Wheel Sealant seem about the best with DP Wheel Glaze not far behind. I'm not saying that these are the only ones that work well, they just happen to be the only ones I've tried.

I also tried Ultima Tire & Trim Guard and that did a fantastic job along with Collinite 845.

Polishing with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish and then Super finish really made them shine then a wax for protection...:props:

gatoman39
05-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Hard to remove, doesn't last that long. Smells very good though. I'm more inclined to use the Menzerna Powerlock, than this stuff. A little goes a long way, I've had it for 2 years on 3 cars, and barely made a dent in the can.

Bunky
05-25-2011, 09:32 AM
I also tried Ultima Tire & Trim Guard and that did a fantastic job along with Collinite 845.

Do you see any advantage of a dedicated wheel sealant like PB or PB over 845?

gatoman39
05-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Do you see any advantage of a dedicated wheel sealant like PB or PB over 845?
Considering how hot and corrosive it gets down there, and the chemicals that most people use to clean the wheels, I don't think there's a big difference. The only product that I found to be vastly different is Armor All Wheel Protectant. I hate all things Armor All, but a friend of mine with a Bimmer introduced me to this and it really works, especially if you have a German car, which are notorious for throwing massive amount of brake dust on wheels.

oldmodman
05-25-2011, 02:07 PM
I have never used the product "Wheelwax", but I am a long time user of Poorboys and have always been very happy with the results. With DP a close second.

kkreit01
05-25-2011, 02:10 PM
I had it, and didn't like it. A decent sealant (DG101, DG105, IW845, etc.) is much easier to use, and more effective IMO. I sold mine at garage sale for a buck or 2. :)

More than often, I simply use a spray wax (AquaWax) for easiest shine & protection.

Streetlife
05-25-2011, 02:21 PM
I have never used the product "Wheelwax", but I am a long time user of Poorboys and have always been very happy with the results. With DP a close second.

Same here man, i just used the DP wheel glaze that i've had for about 3 years on my wife's car. That DP wheel glaze Works perfect as usual, very nice shine and durability is very good. One tip on DP wheel Glaze, keep your eye on it because it hazes pretty quick, remove once the hazing has taken effect.

dreamps
05-25-2011, 02:34 PM
big fan of Poorboy's Wheel Sealant and Optimum opti seal for rims:)