advice needed for my altima

ade5024

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here at AG but i have been researching for awhile to help bring some life back in my 2000 Nissan Altima's paint. A lot of great information here and acquired some great products.

Here is a picture of my problem:

Picture063.jpg

The worst area is on my hood but i also have some oxidation on my roof and trunk. I used my new GG DA polisher to try and remove it with M-105 with and orange LC pad followed by M205 with a white LC pad. However was not able to remove the oxidation.

I was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice on how to remove the oxidation off my car. i want the paint to have a nice glossy wet look!

Thank you,

Dan

looks like thin paint. the pros on here will be able to help you out better than me. What year is that? Ever been taken care of, or buffed out before?

Thanks for the reply! It's a 2000, i have owned the car for a few years and the stripes has always been there. I have never been able to get rid of it. This past weekend was the first time i used a polisher other than that i have only hand waxed it.I'd like to keep it looking real nice now though. is there anything i will be able to do if it's thin paint? would i get better results using a cleaner wax or All In One wax?

have you considered a rotory buffer on this?
Could be clear coat going.

I had a similar problem I took my car to an auto body supply shop they were the best source. Ask around first then go.
You might try a wool pad with a light compound first , then go more aggressive.One last suggestion call Meguires , they have a customer service center, look online and call them they are pretty sharp people.

Hey Dan,

:welcome: To Autogeek Online!

I believe what we're looking at here is a lack of clear coat and not oxidation. If this were oxidation then Meguiar's M105 and an orange pad would have at least made some improvement. The light lines you see are typical spray patterns and these areas may have received less clear than the adjacent areas. Not that it matters but was the car repainted at some point?

The only way to fix this correctly is to take it to the paint shop and have them perform their magic. Once these areas are fixed you'll be able to achieve your goals.

thanks again for your replies, i appreciate everyone's input. i do not have a rotary buffer. i will take it to a local body shop and get an estimate. however, i do not want to spend too much money because hopefully i will get a job after i graduate in December so may have to live with it. The car was not repainted as far as i know. Will the problem get worse over time?

Will the problem get worse over time?

When the clear coat fails it affords an opportunity for anything to migrate beneath "it" causing additional separation. In time everything fails but I'm curious to hear what the paint guys says once he's seen it in the flesh so to speak.

thanks again for your replies, i appreciate everyone's input. i do not have a rotary buffer. i will take it to a local body shop and get an estimate. however, i do not want to spend too much money because hopefully i will get a job after i graduate in December so may have to live with it. The car was not repainted as far as i know. Will the problem get worse over time?

From everyone i have spoken to, you can cover the paint with wax. It will slow the process down.

Back