A few Meguiar's MF system questions.

craigcaski

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just got my MF starter kit in the mail. For my needs and skill level this system seems perfect!

I'm not sure exactly how to classify the Finishing Wax D301 though. For those of you who use both steps of the system, do you top it with anything? As more of an all-in-one product, I would imagine it's not the ideal protection. Does it need to cure? Can you put a glaze on it? I have a bottle of CG EZ Creme Glaze that want to try out!

I did some searching but couldn't come up with an answer. This site is great by the way! :xyxthumbs:

I have topped it for the heck of it with a few things. Works fine.

As an AIO I was far from impressed. XMT360 is much nicer IMO.

Curing for it is not a big worry in most cases because it is really meant to be a one coat LSP. However if you want to try topping it, letting it cure overnight is a smart move.

I have not tried topping it with a glaze, because I really can't see it reacting well to it. Glazes are meant to be topped, not be the topping.

If you really want to use the EZ Creme, I suggest using the MF finishing pad with a standard polish like M205, the using the glaze and topping it with your favorite LSP.

I hope this helps some.

i have toped it off of with ultimate liquid wax and m21 which i think are both the same-sometimes i like to keep it all in the same family- i think megs said you could top it rite after 301

Curing for it is not a big worry in most cases because it is really meant to be a one coat LSP. However if you want to try topping it, letting it cure overnight is a smart move.

I have not tried topping it with a glaze, because I really can't see it reacting well to it. Glazes are meant to be topped, not be the topping.

If you really want to use the EZ Creme, I suggest using the MF finishing pad with a standard polish like M205, the using the glaze and topping it with your favorite LSP.

Thanks MP, that's kinda what I was thinkin. :xyxthumbs:

can anyone give the speed nu,bers on the pcxp that should be used with each disc. i know they give rotational numbers but i dont know the speed rotation settings on the pcxp.

cutting disc - 4?
finishing disc - 3?

can anyone give the speed nu,bers on the pcxp that should be used with each disc. i know they give rotational numbers but i dont know the speed rotation settings on the pcxp.

cutting disc - 4?
finishing disc - 3?

I use the cutting disk on 4 if the area is pretty flat. Ill bump up to 4.5 or 5 if I need to on vertical panels or areas that have decent curves.

I don't have much experience with the finishing disk. I think the last time I used it I did 3.5 to 4.

These are all on my pcxp.

I ran a test to see what the pad could take a couple days ago. I had some areas I wetsanded and attacked them. I used a cutting disk, speed 6, and some good pressure. The pad heated up more then it ever had. The panel got hotter then normal as well. The pad started to separate from the velcro backing. I never had this problem while running at speed 5 with moderate pressure.

Just an FYI.

I've read that if you don't have access to compressed air to clean, that a brush can cause the mf to "pull out" in sections after awhile. Anyone notice this?

I've read that if you don't have access to compressed air to clean, that a brush can cause the mf to "pull out" in sections after awhile. Anyone notice this?

The pad below has been used quite a few times on quite a few vehicles. It has never been cleaned with air. I would say over a dozen vehicles. Cleaning after every section, it gets cleaned a lot. I think it has held up pretty well.

IMAG0230.jpg

i agree totally ,i dont have air either-get a brush or sponge and have at it- i have done 4 cars on just one pad,just like james says just keep cleaning the pad as you go

The pad below has been used quite a few times on quite a few vehicles. It has never been cleaned with air. I would say over a dozen vehicles. Cleaning after every section, it gets cleaned a lot. I think it has held up pretty well.

Okay, thanks for the pic. Was thinking about trying the MF pads or some 4" pads next.

Do you find that Meg backing plate is necessary, or will a LC backing plate suffice?

I use an LC backplate. It is said that pads heat up more with the LC plate though. This may be why on speed 6 with heavy pressure my pad failed. I am not real confident that a different backplate would have made that much of a difference though. That is purely speculation on my part. I plan on getting the Mega backplate to test this before I can say for sure. I cam say that on speed 5 or less I never had a heat problem with the LC.

i used an air compressor to clean the pad after every section pad. was running my compressor at 90 psi( blower max psi) and got the pad spotless every time. i found it helpfull to slightly prime the pad after every section pass. mf system is great!

I don't have air. I've been using a bug sponge to clean the MF discs with and have had very good results.

BugSponge.jpg

Back