After 205 But Before Wax

Nick B

Reaction score
Is there something that should be used after 205 to enhance gloss before wax is put down ? Maybe a finer polish than 205 ?
I tried a small spot of black paint with 205 and it left the paint a little cloudy. Granted it was by hand but it seems that something should be used on the cloudiness before the wax .
Yea I know , another noob question .

A DA will make all the difference in the world on how that M205 finishes. 85rd after 205 would be an excellent choice.

085rd is indeed the best finishing polish, 205 finishes down well but 085rd is another level of finishing.

I tried a small spot of black paint with 205 and it left the paint a little cloudy.

This happened with my black Camaro too. 85rd, a black LC pad, and the Porter Cable cleared up all haziness left by 205.

Waxes are designed to add a layer of product giving the finish depth making it look 3 dimensional. If there was any wax or sealants on the finish prior to applying a polish there will be a subtle difference in "color". After finishing with Meguiar's M205 the paint will be incredibility smooth but can be slightly cloudy.

Menzerna PO85RD is a great polish to follow Meguiar's M205 but using either by hand the results can be extremely disappointing. Try polishing with a dual action polisher appropriate foam pad and the results will be breathtaking!

Once the surface polished to your satisfaction, clean with mineral spirits or Isopropyl Alcohol to remove and residue or oils left behind. When dry, apply your favorite sealant or wax according to the manufactures directions and your finish should look great! :props:

Bobby, I've always read about cleaning with mineral spirits but by the very nature of what the product is used for (paint solvent) this seems counter-intuitive to me.

And to use it, would it be a 100% solution? Since it is not water soluble, I can't imagine it could be diluted like a 10% IPA.

Finally, are the things said about IPA (working backwards, may eventually haze black paints, etc) applicable also to a mineral spirit wipedown?

I'm thinking Mark may have the right idea in going with the Griots paint prep. Haven't looked at the MDS for it as yet though. Who knows, maybe it's just an IPA in disguise...

I'm thinking Mark may have the right idea in going with the Griots paint prep. Haven't looked at the MDS for it as yet though. Who knows, maybe it's just an IPA in disguise...

Griot's does not contain any alcohol.

Bobby, I've always read about cleaning with mineral spirits but by the very nature of what the product is used for (paint solvent) this seems counter-intuitive to me.

And to use it, would it be a 100% solution? Since it is not water soluble, I can't imagine it could be diluted like a 10% IPA.

Finally, are the things said about IPA (working backwards, may eventually haze black paints, etc) applicable also to a mineral spirit wipedown?

Hey Tim,

Sometimes I've found that spraying the area with mineral spirits then wiped with a clean microfiber towel removes much of the haze left over after polishing making it ready for the sealant or wax.

Mineral spirits is a very mild solvent and I've not had it react with an automotive paint "yet". What I do like about mineral spirits is it stays wet longer giving me time to thoroughly clean the panel.

IPA - Yes, you are correct! I do not use Isopropyl Alcohol straight from the bottle, I use a 50/50 mixture of Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water. The water slows down the evaporation rate thus giving me a bit more time to wipe everything down plus anything water soluble dissolves nicely.

I've never tried Griots paint prep but I'm sure it's a quality product

I thought that Paint Prep was for removing old waxes and sealants prior to polishing and not after polishing?

I thought that Paint Prep was for removing old waxes and sealants prior to polishing and not after polishing?

Yeah I get confused on this product too

Griot's Garage Paint Prep, Griots Paint Cleaner, Prewax cleaner
Use Griot's Garage Paint Prep to remove old wax and polysilicones for a squeaky clean start before you polish and wax.

Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner, prewax paint cleaner, paint prep cleaner
Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner cleans and conditions auto paint after polishing to restore maximum gloss before wax application.

I've always had great luck using a cleaner after the 205, such as Meguiars Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner or Mothers California Gold Step 1 Pre Wax Cleaner. I think both remove any residues or oils left from the polishes and leave you a perfect surface for waxing or sealing. I've never tried it and therefore won't argue against it, but darned if I can see how you could be left with much better of a surface than 205 leaves ya!

From other users and what I'll do since I purchased a 32oz bottle of it

M105 > M205 > PO85RD
D300 > M205 > PO85RD

etc etc etc

A DA will make all the difference in the world on how that M205 finishes. 85rd after 205 would be an excellent choice.
Yep, I agree, invest in something like the 7424 XP. I coudn't imagine doing an entire vehicle by hand using m205, talk about being beyond tired and sore afterwards

Yes and No. Yes, that it removes old waxes, but it's not necessary before polishing as the polishing will remove the old wax. Yes, after polishing to remove any polishing oils which many will use IPA for this purpose. If I'm not polishing I like to use a paint cleaner before waxing.

Yes and No. Yes, that it removes old waxes, but it's not necessary before polishing as the polishing will remove the old wax. Yes, after polishing to remove any polishing oils which many will use IPA for this purpose. If I'm not polishing I like to use a paint cleaner before waxing.

I believe that you are confusing Griot's Paint Prep, which is used prior to polishing, to their Pre-wax cleaner, which is used after polishing. The Paint Prep is really strong and needs to be removed by washing again or a strong rinse. If not properly removed it will affect the wax or sealant applied.

Just got an e-mail from Griots that has both free shipping and 15% off. Can I assume that Autogeek will meet or even possibly beat that special???

Back