ONR the best waterless wash?

JetBlackBMW

Reaction score
Did not have time for a full wash and dry this morning so I wiped the car down with PB spray & wipe. Car was just washed 2 days ago so it was not too bad, just had a bit of pollen and light dust. Initially, I was going to go over the car again with FK425, but the PB spray & wipe left a finish that looked pretty good and I did not think I needed to go over the car agian with the FK425. The PB spray & wipe left a pretty nice finish...does that sound possible?

Question is, how does the PB spray & wipe compare to ONR if I were to put the ONR in a spray bottle and use again in the same situation where the car is not really dirty, but just want to remove light pollen and wipe surface clean?

What gives a better gloss and what does everyone prefer PB spray & wipe or ONR? Do you use a QD after?

Last edited:
I haven't used the PB product you mention but ONR can be used as a rinse less wash (in a bucket) or as a qd... Among other things. For a waterless wash from Optimum they have a product called Opti-clean.

Here is a review of opti-clean waterless wash. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/28895-review-optimum-opti-clean.html

The main reason I link this is that on page 3 post # 29 you will find a Q&A with Dr. G which gives some great info some of which pertains to your question.

I'm not trying to pull you away from a PB product. Like their products as well... I just haven't used the one you speak of.

Poorboys is more a cleaner with much gloss enhancing properties. It works well in the sun and something nice to have in the kit for warm paint.

Corey is spot on! ONR was not designed to be more than a QD. A qt of Opti Clean makes a gallon of an S&W competitor. 16 oz of UWW+ makes 5.5 gallons at about $3.50 a gallon. If I recall S&W goes for > $30 a gallon.

Corey is spot on! ONR was not designed to be more than a QD. A qt of Opti Clean makes a gallon of an S&W competitor. 16 oz of UWW+ makes 5.5 gallons at about $3.50 a gallon. If I recall S&W goes for > $30 a gallon.

Wow - 16oz of UWW makes 5.5 gallons - thats almost too goo to be true. I mean how is the gloss compared to Opti Clean or Poorboys S&P or a QD like FK 425? I would think that at such a diluted level (16oz makes 5.5 gallons) that it would not look as good as the others mentioned.

Poorboys is more a cleaner with much gloss enhancing properties. It works well in the sun and something nice to have in the kit for warm paint.

+1

used it on warm paint in the sun - no streaking. Added a nice gloss where I did not need to go over it with FK425.

Wow - 16oz of UWW makes 5.5 gallons - thats almost too goo to be true. I mean how is the gloss compared to Opti Clean or Poorboys S&P or a QD like FK 425? I would think that at such a diluted level (16oz makes 5.5 gallons) that it would not look as good as the others mentioned.

UWWP is an awesome product. Jim has a huge amount of experience using it as a waterless wash and I use it for my front bumper after every drive as well as using it for a QD. There is no question it's gloss and slickness is excellent.

Jim,

I have some of the Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate and need to mix some of this up. You seem to really like this product and I value your opinion.....thank you! :props:

I haven't used the PB product you mention but ONR can be used as a rinse less wash (in a bucket) or as a qd... Among other things. For a waterless wash from Optimum they have a product called Opti-clean.

Here is a review of opti-clean waterless wash. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/28895-review-optimum-opti-clean.html

The main reason I link this is that on page 3 post # 29 you will find a Q&A with Dr. G which gives some great info some of which pertains to your question.

I'm not trying to pull you away from a PB product. Like their products as well... I just haven't used the one you speak of.

nice - read the review and looks like a good product (opti-clean) that I will try. So it looks like Opti-Clean can replace both ONR and OID...

UWWP is an awesome product. Jim has a huge amount of experience using it as a waterless wash and I use it for my front bumper after every drive as well as using it for a QD. There is no question it's gloss and slickness is excellent.

I am going to get either UWW or Opti-clean. Since you have used both, not taking into consideration that UWW is a better value, which one do you prefer and which one gives a better gloss?

nice - read the review and looks like a good product (opti-clean) that I will try. So it looks like Opti-Clean can replace both ONR and OID...

Wrong, it's not the same as a rinse less, and not nearly as slick as OID. Waterless washes can't wash a car as dirty as ONR can either.

Wrong, it's not the same as a rinse less, and not nearly as slick as OID. Waterless washes can't wash a car as dirty as ONR can either.

Okay I was thinking you could use 1oz of opti-clean to 2 gallons of water and use this for a rinseless wash. So with Optimum's line you would need 2 products (ONR for rinse less wash and Opti-clean for a waterless wash)? Trying to see if you can do 2 different things with one product.

Personally I prefer ONR as a rinseless wash and UWWP as a waterless wash and QD. That doesn't mean Opti clean isn't just as good. This is my preference.

Back