Best Car Wash for Opti Coat?

newb001

Reaction score
On a moderately dirty car, should I consider using something a bit stronger (since you don't have to worry about stripping wax) on a car with OC? Maybe something like CG Citrus Wash & Gloss or even a diluted APC mixed in with a car wash?

Or just stick with the regular assortment of people's favorite washes (901, Gold Class, etc...)?

Normally I shy away from the 'stronger' car washes as I don't want to strip any LSP, but with OC I wouldn't have that concern and was thinking of using something stronger to get the added cleaning power.

Thanks.

Stick with your regular soap. For moderatly to severely dirty cars, I use the foam gun or foam cannon to help remove the dirt in the pre-rinse.

Optimum Car Wash and mix some Optimum No Rinse ( about 1oz in 4 Gallons of water ) works great, it doesn't remove your LSP, and leaves protection behind on the surface of your or customers ride. Remember to always use the 2 bucket method.

Try Ultima Paint Guard Wash. It is an incredible wash and really cleans the car well! Since you are dealing with an Optimum coating Optimum car wash would be a great option as well. I recently used it and it leap frogged almost every every wash I had ever used.

Nothing you put on Opti coat will strip it. Not dawn or an APC so don't worry about that. I use CG shampoos, especially their new glossworx. Duragloss is another product that I would recommend.

Thanks everybody. I already own Optimum Car Wash, DG901 and Meguiar's Gold Class. Just wasn't sure that since I wouldn't have to worry about not removing an LSP, if I should get something stronger or more 'harsh', for lack of a better term.

But it sounds like the OC will make it much easier to wash so any of the good soaps listed above should work just fine.

Though I might consider pre-spraying with a diluted APC or something like the Citrus Wash in a foam gun, just to remove as much as I can before touching the paint.

Fox is right. I was going to mention David F uses Dawn repeatedly in his followups on his OC writeup. Then again he won't use UV protectant on his interior :poke: (Just having fun David) I tested OC against straight Hydrochloric Acid, straight chlorine, mineral spirits, and tarminator and none of them touched it. Just use a good lubricating (so you don't scratch the finish) and cleaning shampoo like the ones I listed or others and all is well. Remember to take just as much care in washing and drying as if you had a sealant or wax as your lsp.

Great question as I will now use CG Citrus Wash and Clear for its cleaning power and great lubricity.

Fox is right. I was going to mention David F uses Dawn repeatedly in his followups on his OC writeup. Then again he won't use UV protectant on his interior :poke: (Just having fun David) I tested OC against straight Hydrochloric Acid, straight chlorine, mineral spirits, and tarminator and none of them touched it. Just use a good lubricating (so you don't scratch the finish) and cleaning shampoo like the ones I listed or others and all is well. Remember to take just as much care in washing and drying as if you had a sealant or wax as your lsp.

:iagree: Thanks Cee Dog, that car pro wool wash mitt worked out great too

This thread supports by belief that these coatings will not dramatically diminish the need for paint beautification products. Some think it is no waxing for everyone but no matter how permanent the surface detailers are going to want to put something on it.

On a moderately dirty car, should I consider using something a bit stronger (since you don't have to worry about stripping wax) on a car with OC? Maybe something like CG Citrus Wash & Gloss or even a diluted APC mixed in with a car wash?

Or just stick with the regular assortment of people's favorite washes (901, Gold Class, etc...)?

Normally I shy away from the 'stronger' car washes as I don't want to strip any LSP, but with OC I wouldn't have that concern and was thinking of using something stronger to get the added cleaning power.

Thanks.

I have used many car washes over it with no issue. If you feel you need something "more" in your wash add an ounce of ONR. It adds some additional lubrication and I find reduces any potential marring.

Just wanted to follow-up again. Looks like everyone is saying to just stick with regular car wash, possibly add some ONR, or even use dawn as it won't affect the OC.

However, since my black Audi swirls very easily, I really want to remove/loosen as much dirt as I possibly can. This is why I was thinking of using one of the following products as not only a pre-spray for lower panels and grille, but also adding some to foam gun and/or wash bucket as well (probably just foam gun to let it dwell for a bit, and would then wash with regular car soap):

P21S Total Auto Wash is German nobility in a spray bottle!

1Z Einszett Anti-Insekt Pre-Cleaner

Optimum Power Clean™ All Purpose Cleaner 128 oz. Refill

Questions:

1. Can they all be used w/o risk of damaging anything since Opti Coat should be impervious to them (i.e. I wouldn't do this if I just had wax on the car b/c it could remove the wax)? Do I risk damaging any other part of the car (non-paint) if any of these sit on the paint too long? In other words, even if you don't think I need to use these, are they safe if I do choose to use them?

2. Should I just spray the lower panels and grille with one of these and then wash whole car with normal soap (none of these cleaners added to wash bucket or foam gun)?

3. Is this all overkill as the Opti Coat should make the car easy to clean and a good car soap (maybe with some ONR) should do the trick?

Thanks again!

p.s. I don't have Opti Coat yet (so haven't tested just using normal soap). I'm just thinking ahead.

Just wanted to follow-up again. Looks like everyone is saying to just stick with regular car wash, possibly add some ONR, or even use dawn as it won't affect the OC.

However, since my black Audi swirls very easily, I really want to remove/loosen as much dirt as I possibly can. This is why I was thinking of using one of the following products as not only a pre-spray for lower panels and grille, but also adding some to foam gun and/or wash bucket as well (probably just foam gun to let it dwell for a bit, and would then wash with regular car soap):

P21S Total Auto Wash is German nobility in a spray bottle!

1Z Einszett Anti-Insekt Pre-Cleaner

Optimum Power Clean™ All Purpose Cleaner 128 oz. Refill

Questions:

1. Can they all be used w/o risk of damaging anything since Opti Coat should be impervious to them (i.e. I wouldn't do this if I just had wax on the car b/c it could remove the wax)? Do I risk damaging any other part of the car (non-paint) if any of these sit on the paint too long? In other words, even if you don't think I need to use these, are they safe if I do choose to use them?

2. Should I just spray the lower panels and grille with one of these and then wash whole car with normal soap (none of these cleaners added to wash bucket or foam gun)?

3. Is this all overkill as the Opti Coat should make the car easy to clean and a good car soap (maybe with some ONR) should do the trick?

Thanks again!

p.s. I don't have Opti Coat yet (so haven't tested just using normal soap). I'm just thinking ahead.

I know the thread is 10 days old, but I had my car OptiCoated a week ago, then went on a 900 mile round trip a couple days after.

Got home yesterday, washed the car today. So far my opinion is that you will not really need any sort of pre-soak on the car. I use a Gilmour foam gun and CG Citrus wash and clear. Not even sure of the dilution (with OptiCoat it doesnt really matter.......I dont pour a whole ton of the wash into the foam gun jug, so its definitely more water than soap), but Ill shoot a whole side of the car with foam, then let it run off for a bit, then do one panel at a time foaming it first, adding some foam into my mitt and then washing the panel.

Unfortunately daylight was going down as I finished washing the car, but all of the bugs and dirt that were on it seemed to have been washed off with very little effort (the lower rear quarters are ALWAYS dirt magnets and they are squeaky clean now)

I had a detailer put Opti on for me, while I watched (he admitted he isnt perfect with Opti yet on darker vehicles, so I kinda followed behind him watching for high spots). I was worried it may not have bonded correctly, but he washed the car with PrepSol, polished, then sprayed each panel with prepsol and wiped off before adding OptiCoat, one panel at a time. Hitting the car with water today I could definitely tell there was SOMETHING there, the water basically just slid right off the car. Some of it was left behind but just giving gravity a little time to do its thing and most of it just disappeared. VERY cool.

OptiCoat also gave my car a much more glossy look, vs a deeper warmer look that I have before (using a sealant). I personally like the Opti look better on my car, maybe because of the dark color it makes it seem more vibrant (as vibrant as black can be)

Back