Please help. GF used steel wool on paint

lucky472

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone has some good advice. I not really sure why my gf did this (probably because she has seen me use it on my tailpipes), but my gf used my steel wool 0000 on a few spots where she had door paint marks and also some stains that she couldn't remove with normal cleaning. Naturally the steel wool removed the spots, but it went down to her paint. It's not a ton of spots but there are a few small ones. Is there a quick fix?

:iagree:

Ok, what do you have in your arsenal for products and machinery? What kind of car are we dealing with here, year and color?

:iagree:

Ok, what do you have in your arsenal for products and machinery? What kind of car are we dealing with here, year and color?

I don't have a polisher yet, but it will be on my list. I have a brand new gti and was planning to pick one up any day now. I wanted to get a shop vac, and other cleaning products first.

She has a white Jeep Liberty or Patriot. She's had it for about a year and has never washed or hand waxed it, just a spray bath at the car wash. We did a great 2 bucket wash last night and I didn't realize that she used the steel wool on a few small spots. She has about 4-5 quarter sized spots and also (2) spots about the size of a pencil where she removed a stain under her mirrors. I don't have any polishers or anything, but don't mind picking stuff up. It's not horrible but it does need fixed

p.s- she does have some touch-up paint, but i dont think thats the best/easiest option

Last edited:
If it is just a few small spots like you say (and she did not go through the clearcoat), I think I would go down to the local parts store or Walmart and see if I could get a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and try and work the spots by hand with either a foam applicator or maybe even a small piece of folded terry cloth towel and see how it comes out as a first step.

Good call Mister B. That is the direction I would head also if only OTC was available. Give that a shot Lucky and let us know. If it doesn't work we will go to plan b.

Get a new girlfriend!

OK, all kidding aside, you are going to need to polish it out. If it is a small area, you may be able to do it by hand, and I would get a permanent coating such as opti-coat or C-quartz on the areas pronto.

If you're going to Walmart to pick up the Ultimate Compound, you should pick up the 2pack of the micro fiber applicator pads. They will give you more bite than a regular foam pad. I didn't see anyone mention what kind of foam to pick up so I would assume that you would take it as any piece of foam. If this is not the case then please accept my apologies for the assumption. I honestly don't know your skill level or your level of knowledge regarding detailing products.

Now if you don't mind ordering products then I would suggest the Lake Country CCS Euro Foam Hand Polish Applicators, or any 4" cutting pad and polishing pad mated to a Wolfgang Polishin' Pal. If you look you will see a Wolfgang Polishin' Pal combo for $25 that comes with 6 pads total. This would be an excellent option if doing this by hand. Pair that with a sample of Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and a sample of Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and you have fixed your paint with premium products at a pretty decent price. I would choose one polish as a free sample then purchase the other.

Just curious, where are you located?

Is there any chance that Megs swirl x will do the same thing? I just realized we sold it where I work. If not I'll be picking up the ultimate compound this week

Is there any chance that Megs swirl x will do the same thing? I just realized we sold it where I work. If not I'll be picking up the ultimate compound this week

It might...

"you never know what you can do until you try"

It's not near as aggressive as Ultimate Compound.

The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you!

Super Micro Abrasive Technology = SMAT
From left to right, the most aggressive to the least aggressive SMAT products
SMATaggressivenessOrder.jpg

From the most to the least aggressive...
M105 Ultra-Cut Compound/M95 Speed Cut Compound = The same in abrading power
Ultimate Compound
ScratchX 2.0
M86 Solo Cut & Polish Cream
D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream
SwirlX
M205 Ultra Finishing Polish
Working on clear coat paints by hand takes more skill than working on clear coat paints by machine. Check this out for some tips...

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand

Note none of the products discussed here provide protection so after you remove the scratches be sure to apply a coat of wax.

:)

You can try Swirl X but it is doubtful that it will have enough bite to take out the marks.

Ultimate Compound will yield better results, IMO.

Where are you located. I am sure one of us with experience and tools can help. Without seeing how bad she messed it up it is hard to say what will work.

Back