PDA

View Full Version : help me with this stubborn leather stain

20ls01
07-19-2011, 11:57 AM
i bought some new leather seats and one of the seats were stained. i saw it and thought no biggy... some leather cleaner should take care of it...nope. i used acura leather cleaner and then used mequiars cleaner and leather conditioner but works to no avail. i dont know what stained it...here is a picture

any sugggestions?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/calcal55/IMG_1060.jpg
interior picture :D
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6018/5949477097_cdc23577c4_b.jpg

DLB
07-19-2011, 12:05 PM
It's hard to tell what the stain may be, but for all my leather cleaning I use the same thing...
Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner 17 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-power-clean-apc.html)

I use it diluted 3:1, but others have used it full strength with no issues.

DLB

embolism
07-19-2011, 12:07 PM
just don't spray it directly on the seats!

Do you know how you got the stain?

To me it looks like an absence of colour rather than a stain, in which case, the damage is done.

DLB
07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
just don't spray it directly on the seats!I spray it directly on the seat all the time. The thing is to spray it evenly and to brush it thoroughly and immediately. Perforated seats are a different story though.

The thing most people see when they spray directly on the seat is they have sprayed a stream directly onto one or two parts of the seat, and that stream leaves a mark. If you spray a mist over the seat and brush immediately you won't have those marks and there is no risk of damage to my knowledge. You never want to let streams of the cleaner run down the seats though (and since every part of a seat is at an angle greater than 0, it will always run). Biggest thing is to get them fully clean and you shouldn't have any "staining" issues from your cleaner. Again, letting massive amounts sit in one spot on the seats for any period of time COULD damage the surface though.

To me it looks like an absence of colour rather than a stain, in which case, the damage is done.:iagree:

DLB

judyb
07-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Looking at the photo I would suggest that this is not a stain as such that could be 'cleaned' with a cleaning product. It would appear that whatever has caused the problem has either bleached the colour or stained the pigment coating.
The only solution may be to recolour the leather which will cover the mark.
Hope this helps
Judyb

20ls01
07-19-2011, 10:37 PM
i kind of figured it was discolored. what products do you guys suggest?

Jimmie
07-19-2011, 11:31 PM
You can buy leather dye touch-up/recoloring products. I can't say how close the match would be.

judyb
07-20-2011, 03:22 PM
You will need to use a professional restoration product with a pigment mixed to match the colour of your leather. Then finish with a clear coat finish. Maybe better to let a professional do it rather than use DIY products which generally do not work as well.
Hope this helps
Judyb