Power wash polish dust before waxing?

zogster

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've been using my new PC and Menzerna intensive and final polishes to remove the swirls from my car. So far it's working quite well except for the amount of dust that is being left behind.

My question is whether or not it is okay to power wash the car with just water (no car wash soap) to remove all of the dust from the polishes, or if that will prevent the wax from bonding to the polish? It would probably save me a ton of time vs. trying to wipe all the dust off.

I plan to wax with Collinite 845.

TIA!

Hey guys, so I've been using my new PC and Menzerna intensive and final polishes to remove the swirls from my car. So far it's working quite well except for the amount of dust that is being left behind.

My question is whether or not it is okay to power wash the car with just water (no car wash soap) to remove all of the dust from the polishes, or if that will prevent the wax from bonding to the polish? It would probably save me a ton of time vs. trying to wipe all the dust off.

I plan to wax with Collinite 845.

TIA!

If I had a power washer, this is exactly what I would do.

I'd use soap to get rid of the polishing oils. Pressure washing is also good to get polish residue out of any chips.

wax doesn't really bond to polish. If there were any polishing oils left behind, then they would mix with the oils in the wax. Would it affect the durability of the wax? Tough to say, but as others have said before, it's not like your wax is going to fall off the paint and puddle around the floor beside the car... :)

that said, I've been lazy before and slapped 845 on after polishing without a wipedown or wash. The car was taped well though so there was very little dust anywhere.

Wax actually won't bond as well to polish... I would go ahead and re-foam the car with wash soap and then use the pressure washer to rinse away the oils and dust.

Hey, this is your first post here!!

:welcome: To Autogeek Online and welcome aboard!

I think the guys have got you covered.....:props:

Thanks guys. I did this and it worked well. Car is now sitting in the garage waiting for wax tomorrow.

Back