Wash/Wipedown or not?

Since I kinda hijacked another thread thought I stop and start a new one since I am really curious about learning more about this.
So, after compounding/polishing do you wash and/or do a IPA (or something similar) wipedown before applying an LSP?

Either will work. i personally, if i have time, i will wash. I feel alot more secure this way. Now if i have to do a wipedown, id have to use Griots Garage Pre-wax. Either way will remove any oils and leave the paint bare for any LSP. I skipped both wiping and washing to see how it would affect the longevity of 845 on top of everything. The thing was gone by the second wash, so i highly recommend either washing or doing a wipedown prior to LSP.

Either will work. i personally, if i have time, i will wash. I feel alot more secure this way. Now if i have to do a wipedown, id have to use Griots Garage Pre-wax. Either way will remove any oils and leave the paint bare for any LSP. I skipped both wiping and washing to see how it would affect the longevity of 845 on top of everything. The thing was gone by the second wash, so i highly recommend either washing or doing a wipedown prior to LSP.
:iagree: if you have a pressure washer it makes washing much easy and i can make sure i get all the dust off.

really? I put 845 on a one stepper about 3 weeks ago and didn't wash or wipedown...

haven't washed the car yet though... you're exaggerating right?

845 is bulletproof!

really? I put 845 on a one stepper about 3 weeks ago and didn't wash or wipedown...

haven't washed the car yet though... you're exaggerating right?

845 is bulletproof!

Not exaggerating. I had finished doing an entire car with m205 and po85rd. Both products leave plently of polishing oils behind. Meaning, when i applied 845, it went right on top of all these oils. I didnt do a wipedown or anything to see if the oils would have an effect on the bonding or actual durability of 845. Apperently they did. It was my own little experient even tough i kinna knew it was bound to happen. Now, everything gets a good wash or a wipedown after polishing. :)

Not exaggerating. I had finished doing an entire car with m205 and po85rd. Both products leave plently of polishing oils behind. Meaning, when i applied 845, it went right on top of all these oils. I didnt do a wipedown or anything to see if the oils would have an effect on the bonding or actual durability of 845. Apperently they did. It was my own little experient even tough i kinna knew it was bound to happen. Now, everything gets a good wash or a wipedown after polishing. :)

Mike P notes that the chem engineers actually design the products to have a synergistic effect on the next step, especially within a product line. So rather than improving adhesion, the wipedown enthusiats may actually be reducing it.

^^^That is a quote from another thread.^^^

This is what i am curious about. Does what is left behind after a polish improve or not improve the bond of a sealant/wax?

wow, I'll have to watch for that when I wash the car before my aunt gets back

how are you liking the Griot paint prep? Any issues on black?

I did a similar test on my gf's car in march with 845... put two coats on and it is still beading extremely well

Mike P notes that the chem engineers actually design the products to have a synergistic effect on the next step, especially within a product line. So rather than improving adhesion, the wipedown enthusiats may actually be reducing it.

^^^That is a quote from another thread.^^^

This is what i am curious about. Does what is left behind after a polish improve or not improve the bond of a sealant/wax?

Im sure that would apply to certain lines. From what ive heard, all duragloss prodcuts well work together for example. I just cant see how some meguiars, menzerna and collinite all together would actually be improving adhesion.

wow, I'll have to watch for that when I wash the car before my aunt gets back

how are you liking the Griot paint prep? Any issues on black?

Im about to get it this friday and will put it to the test. Dave did a good review on the Muc-off one. But its more of a polish, and it actually removes light defects. i have to check that one out.

I did a similar test on my gf's car in march with 845... put two coats on and it is still beading extremely well

I had just one coat so i dont know if that had anything to do with it.

As I've gained experience, I've found a 15% alcohol solution is all that is necessary to get the paint squeaky and free of all oils and remaining particles from polish. I get annoyed at "dusting" compounds and polishes and have pretty much stopped using them because they just create more work for me. Using a compound that stays liquid long enough to do its job is a timesaver. Also, compounds which dry to dusts tend to clog up my buffing pads and take more frequent cleaning. The caking effect also disrupts the ability for the pad surface to do its job. I also over-apply compounds less often than I used to, and that makes cleanup with an MF and alcohol a breeze. I remove the compound/polish immediately after a section is complete (necessary to judge the work anyway). First wipe with a dry MF to remove visible residues, spray alcohol, than wipe with a different MF. Takes just seconds per panel. Usually a half dozen MFs will take care of the whole process.

I think a lot has to do with the area you live in and the contaminants in the air. I live in an area that is a major transport hub. We have a lot of truck traffic and many, many warehouses. Add in hot, humid weather with the diesel contaminants in the air and the environment literally eats most LSP's alive. Even 845 only lasts me a couple months in the summer. Pure carnubas are degraded in a couple weeks. Frequent washings help to flush the contaminants, but that's a double-edged sword as each time you wash you strip a little LSP. That's one reason I switched to one of the new "super sealants".

Back