Pin Stripe/DA

Lawndawg

Reaction score
So I have tried searching for this topic many times and can't really find what I'm looking for.

I'm a newb so this may seem petty but I am planning on tackling my first real detail/correction Sat. (Wife's Maxima)

Question is can you polish over a vinyl pin stripe without causing any harm? I am hoping a white pad will do the trick on most of the car using 105 but may be a couple places I have to step up to a orange. Haven't done a test spot yet.

My practice truck didn't have one so I have not dealt with one before. Thanks for the help!!

I tape my pin stiping off. I haven't done a test spot to see for sure if it would damage it but I THINK it would. It might not rip the whole stripe off but at least leave scratches in the pin stripe. Again I haven't tried it so I tape it off just to be safe. Maybe someone else can shed some more light on this?

Tape it. Even if it doesn't hurt the pin stripe it will leave build up along the edge that will have to be cleaned once you finish

When in doubt... tape it off.

Good advice. I have a friend in the striping business, so I have always have an ample supply of striping tape remnants that I use as masking tape for edges and peaks. I've probably polished over more edges masked by striping tape than actual masking tape.
In reality, the pro grade stuff is pretty damn tough. Using an aggressive compound like 105, I'd mask, just to protect from scratching and swirling the tape. With any kind of finishing material, I wouldn't worry much. Just be careful of any edges or cuts in the tape, as those are the most likely areas to pull loose. Also, if the striping doesn't look like a pro job, be extremely careful, since both the tape quality and the prep work could be lacking.

Bill

Back