PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Detailing Golf Carts for $$$$

jaymz
07-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Just wondering if anyone has tried this. Not speaking of the occasional detail for some old farts in a retirement community, but actually detailing the carts for a golf course.

Jim

skipper1
07-22-2011, 09:20 AM
I think you just dismissed a great idea. What old fart in a retirement community wouldn't want their golf cart detailed? Picking up their honey around 4pm for the early bird special. You could set up and do 20 carts in a day for say $50 each.

jaymz
07-22-2011, 09:31 AM
I think you just dismissed a great idea. What old fart in a retirement community wouldn't want their golf cart detailed? Picking up their honey around 4pm for the early bird special. You could set up and do 20 carts in a day for say $50 each.

Yeah, I realize that. I've seen some of the custom creations these old dudes ride around in, and they're just awesome! Getting in at one of these places by posting up on the bulletin boards in the main office or word-of-mouth could really generate some income.

However, I'm just curious about golf courses. I used to be a "cart geek" at a course and the carts really take a beating. We had to hose them off before use, but after awhile, they got pretty scummy-looking and water-spotted from drying in the sun. I think detailing these carts would be a great source of income, except that the golf course managers are so cheap they won't spring for a fair price. But imagine getting the contract for detailing 300 of these things during the off-season!

BTW, I'm an old fart, too (63).

"I don't want to grow old gracefully,
I don't want to go til it's too late.
I'll be some old man in the road somewhere,
Kneeling down in the dust by the side of the interstate.
I am a renegade;
I've been a rebel all my days..."
Warren Zevon

Porsche Pilot
07-22-2011, 11:47 AM
If a detailed cart will help my game I will pay ya!

305Cane
07-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Many moons ago I used to work the cart barn at a course too. I"m pretty sure most of the fleets of carts are leased though, so I doubt you'll find many head pros/directors of golf willing to put much, if any, of the budget towards waxing the carts.

Maybe some of the high end clubs would be interested, but it's hard to say. More power to you though. If you can sell 'em on it, go for it....it's worth a shot.

skipper1
07-22-2011, 06:55 PM
I think doing golf carts for the golf course would be a lot like doing cars for a dealership. Lots of work for little pay.

If there's a retirement community near by, case it out. See if many are driving those cool customized carts, see what kind of shape they're in. Maybe pick out a couple of ugly ducklings and give em a make over, if possible, in a high traffic area, on the first of the month when they all get their checks. Make sure you do the before and after pictures, make copies and hand them out.

These are just some ideas, I really think you're on to something because those old farts like to talk and watch you work. Nothing else to do but play dominoes.

2gHiBoost
07-23-2011, 03:03 PM
This could be a great idea. I worked as an Assistant Golf Pro for about 9 years at 2 different private clubs in east Florida and have seen my share of carts. It's all about the club environment. A few points:

The club will need a large surrounding neighborhood (members like having their own cart if possible and within a reasonable distance). The more private carts, the better chance at making money.
Courses will usually rent their carts for 3 years and then trade them in on newer models. At the 3 year point, the carts have usually taken a hell of alot of abuse and it's starting to show.
I would look towards "cart protection" as the main service. The sun kills golf carts, so maybe like a paint, trim & seat protection package. Also, you could do battery terminal cleaning and protection as a little bonus. The cable ends get corrosion quite often to it would appeal to members who don't want to deal with it.
Hopefully some of that will help. Good luck with making some extra money off this. When I was working at the course, I wasn't into detailing or I would've done something similar. :props:

Jimmie
07-23-2011, 10:06 PM
:iagree: with everything 2gHiBoost said. Here is the way that I think it could be marketed to make $$$. The 3 year lease is correct, and there is no real concern about the paint. I would present the program as trim protectant; battery terminal clean; lube (4-5 zert fitting in front steering only). Now you are giving them a little more longevity because the carts are usually breaking down before the lease is up. Start to finish is quick and easy.
Here's even a better way to make $$ at a club. Talk to the management about detailing cars at a mobile station in the parking lot by appt only while the member is playing golf. It's a great service to the membership. They love it. Present it as you would start by doing it on "Ladies Day"; "Men's Day"; and maybe a Saturday. Show the management what you can do by doing their car free gratus. This works. I know, I set it up at our club. Not me, but with another detailer (however one day I did bring my foam cannon that drew an audience, lol). Hope that this helps someone make some money.