PDA

View Full Version : Doing ONR, how to do rims?

93fox
08-04-2011, 02:38 PM
So when you guys have no access to a water hose and are left to do an ONR wash how do you do the rims? leave them till the end and do the rims with ONR as well? I have a few wheel cleaners, are they ok to spray on dry? im lost on this one!

BillyJack
08-04-2011, 03:12 PM
I'll save the wheels 'till last. If they only need a wash, I'll use the leftover ONR. If the wheels and/or tires need cleaned. I'll use the appropriate cleaners and then use the ONR water as a rinse. Either way, any remaining ONR in the bucket is then tossed out.

Bill

embolism
08-04-2011, 03:18 PM
I've been dumping my leftover wash water (the few inches under the grit guard which should be clean if you use the 2 bucket method) into my tire bucket for the next time I clean my wheels. I've also got an old plastic Meg's soft wash gel bottle that I fill with water and squirt onto the wheels if I don't want to get the hose out.

you could also just mix up some ONR in a spray bottle and clean them on the fly if they aren't too dirty...

93fox
08-04-2011, 03:44 PM
im going to mix up a little more ONR and do the wheels at last. But im liking the idea of putting it in a spray bottle and rinse em a little and then clean em.

DHCrocks
08-04-2011, 03:50 PM
I do the wheels last. Usually I'll spray the tire/rim down with Optima Opti-Clean for a bit more cleansing power and use the leftover ONR mix and a wheel brush to clean. I'll then wipe down/dry the rim and tire with old MFs that I have deligated to wheels only duty. If I'm out of OOC then I'll just use the ORN mix I have in my pump spayer to presoak the wheels.

get a 1/2 gallon pump up garden sprayer and put you ORN mix in that to do a presoak, it saves lots of time and is way quicker then a regular sprayer. The 1/2 gallon is just enough for me to do a complete car.

Jimmie
08-04-2011, 04:43 PM
I do wheels/tires/wells last with the end of the ONR mix. It's OK to amp up with wheel cleaner. Here's the sequence that I use. Wet w/ONR; wheel cleaner; agitate (no splash on clean car); ONR wash; dry.
In a couple of weeks I'm going to be doing a lot of ONR washes.

tuscarora dave
08-04-2011, 04:49 PM
I do the car first with ONR and then after the paint work is done I spray the wheel with my wheel cleaner of choice and using a brush I dip into the ONR bucket to wet the brush and clean the wheel with it. I fill a 2 gallon pump up sprayer with water before I begin so I can rinse the wheels when done with the brush. I do the wells the same way. then I towel the wheels dry and apply UTTG to the tires and hit the wells with a tire spray such as PB Bold & Bright or Opti-Bond.

93fox
08-04-2011, 05:35 PM
I do the car first with ONR and then after the paint work is done I spray the wheel with my wheel cleaner of choice and using a brush I dip into the ONR bucket to wet the brush and clean the wheel with it. I fill a 2 gallon pump up sprayer with water before I begin so I can rinse the wheels when done with the brush. I do the wells the same way. then I towel the wheels dry and apply UTTG to the tires and hit the wells with a tire spray such as PB Bold & Bright or Opti-Bond.

Sounds like a good routine! the bad thing is..... i broke my AG pump sprayer the other day... it took a tumble from a high shelf, down to my head (it quite hurt) and then onto the ground. The sprayer at the front broke and not it just squirts out a big stream. Ive heard good things about the one they sell at Home Depot.

Shane731
08-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Check these videos out:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSgdMAGjU_s]‪Optimum No Rinse and wheels part 1‬‏ - YouTube[/video]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmJ64kVFlJw]‪Optimum No Rinse and wheels part 2‬‏ - YouTube[/video]

Shawn T.
08-04-2011, 08:03 PM

:xyxthumbs:

Jenn1270
08-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Those are great videos shane. I wish I could get in the barrels of mine that nicely, but the rotors brake plates are huge and the calipers are big as well. Even the daytona has a hard time with them.

Jenn

Y2KSVT
08-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Those videos made me a little nervous. 20" BMW wheels and he's clanging that brush on them like a snare drum. Not to mention when he scraped the fender brush handle on the wheel arch. :eek:

DHCrocks
08-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Those videos made me a little nervous. 20" BMW wheels and he's clanging that brush on them like a snare drum. Not to mention when he scraped the fender brush handle on the wheel arch. :eek:

what about when he was drying, he first wiped the tires down, then hit the fender lip with the same towel.

Y2KSVT
08-04-2011, 09:00 PM
what about when he was drying, he first wiped the tires down, then hit the fender lip with the same towel.

I must have missed that with all the cringing I was doing..

tuscarora dave
08-05-2011, 04:40 AM
Sounds like a good routine! the bad thing is..... i broke my AG pump sprayer the other day... it took a tumble from a high shelf, down to my head (it quite hurt) and then onto the ground. The sprayer at the front broke and not it just squirts out a big stream. Ive heard good things about the one they sell at Home Depot.
I bought the Gilmour 2 gallon sprayer from Lowes. It puts out a heavy fanned spray of water and works perfect for rinsing wheels and wells.