PDA

View Full Version : I failed my first time polishing and waxing

Pages : [1] 2

Bigmivi
09-06-2011, 01:34 AM
Hi All,

This is my first time posting and first time I tried to work on my mom's 1999 pathfinder. I used the following products and it is in order:

1. Two bucket washing method.
2. Turtle's bug and tar removal.
3. Meguiar's ULTIMATE COMPOUND
4. Mothers FX Synwax
5. Meguair's gold class wax

The outcome is unacceptable. Please find the picture attached. It seems there are still a lot of spots on the car. What can I do to fix it!? Am I using the right product?

Many thanks in advance~ I really want the car to shine~

tuscarora dave
09-06-2011, 05:02 AM
Did you do it by hand or by machine? It kind of looks like there is a rotary hologram left behind but also looks like a bit of paint transfer left as well. The spots look to me like stone chips which will need to be filled with something like Dr.Color Chip.

BobbyG
09-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Many thanks in advance~ I really want the car to shine~[/QUOTE]

Dave touched on an important point; are you working by hand or using a machine?

Some of the defects look deeper than swirls and marring. These may require a more aggressive approach and possibly some wet sanding but try a less aggressive approach first.

Mike Phillips did a nice article on the art of wet sanding...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/21974-basic-hand-sanding-techniques.html

Compounding and polishing by hand is difficult at best and requires allot of arm and shoulder strength as well as a ton of time.

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound works pretty well for an over the counter product but it may not be aggressive enough.

A dual action polisher, the appropriate foam pads will yield better results much much quicker and give consistency to the process. Other compounds might also help.

courtdale
09-06-2011, 06:52 AM
I just finished my first cut/polish and left many flaws behind as well. Most was due to technique (lack thereof) and inexperience. If I were to do it again right now, I'm sure the results would be much better, but I have a good idea of what I did wrong (lack of pressure for the most part, I was too soft during the cut).

2nd time around, I plan on possibly wet sanding some of the big flaws, definitely grabbing a Dr. Colorchip Kit, and thorough cleaning of the compound/polish residue. Those along with experience gained from the first run should provide much better results.

brawl
09-06-2011, 07:16 AM
I also made a lot of mistakes. I am sure I will also do some in the future. The important thing is we care for our rides and will do everything to be better in it. I commend you for asking help from the pros and experienced detailers here. Keep detailing!

EuroFD
09-06-2011, 08:07 AM
My guess is you need to use a more aggressive compound on a rotary polisher. Looks like your 99 Pathfinder's been exposed to the elements.

shoeless89
09-06-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm PRETTY sure UC uses diminishing abrasives so you have to work it long enough to make sure all the abrasives have broken down to leave a marr -free finish. A DA will really help! :) Good luck

boogiejoe
09-06-2011, 11:20 AM
you didn't fail. you're just not done. ultimate compound uses SMAT abrasives that do not break down. keep working on it. it's a lengthy process working with a machine, let alone by hand. go back to the compounding step and keep working until the finish is how you want it to look. then apply your waxes or sealants. just keep going.

Bigmivi
09-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks guy... I'll work on the car again today! I really appreciate all your advice and it helped to get my confidence back. Hopefully Ill post some good photos soon.

courtdale
09-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Forgot to mention... poor lighting, another problem I had. Without the proper lighting, I wasn't able to properly gage my progress, so I really didn't have a good idea of what kind of progress I was making during the process. I just sort of timed myself on each area without visual inspection. Obviously not a good thing, especially with a black car.

Mike Phillips
09-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Did you do it by hand or by machine?

Did we get this answer?

To the OP, are you working by hand or machine and if by machine.... what type?

The answer to the above question makes a difference when it comes to getting tweaks to your technique...

:xyxthumbs:

john b
09-06-2011, 01:17 PM
you only fail if you dont ask what you did wrong

yakky
09-06-2011, 02:44 PM
This is why I always stress the need for a test area. Start small, formulate a plan, then continue.

Mike Phillips
09-06-2011, 03:13 PM
This is why I always stress the need for a test area. Start small, formulate a plan, then continue.

I agree.

Test your pads, products and process to one small area and make sure the combination of products plus your skill and technique are creating the results you're looking for and hoping for before tackling the rest of the car.

If you can make one small area look GREAT then this will give you the confidence to tackle the rest of the car with the assurance you'll get the same results.

If you're not getting the results you were looking for and hoping for... you'll be glad you didn't buff out the entire car.

Then come back to the forum, share what you're seeing and the rest of us will do our best to tweak your technique and/or process and see you through to success.

:xyxthumbs:

Bigmivi
09-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Sorry I forgot to answer the question. I used Simoniz Cordless Car Polisher and now I hate it. I live in a place where I have to use a cordless wax/polisher. I don't see a lot of cordless polisher on the market, can anybody suggest a good one (If there is anything in the autogeek store?)

I already returned the polisher twice in 1 week. First time the battery included does not charge and the second time when I push the polisher down it stopped... Its really frustrating...I am going to ask for a refund tomorrow.

Mike~ I'm a big fan of yours. Those videos are really helpful!