First time detailing...

Iconic

Reaction score
First off this is my first post on autogeek, yay! :xyxthumbs:

Anyways I just got a new car and noticed that the red paint is filled with swirls so it definitely needs to be detailed. The problem is I have never done anything more than wash a car. I would really appreciate some tips on detailing and what products are best without breaking the bank. BTW my car is always parked on the driveway rather than the garage which probably requires more attention and care right? Also would a car cover help preserve the paint long term?

So far the only product I have bought is Meguiars Gold Class wash. But from the searching I have done it seems like Collonite 845 is a popular wax choice. I was also thinking about going with Mothers clay bar kit.

Sorry, I know this is a lot of questions but I really know nothing about detailing. Thanks guys!

:welcome: To Autogeek Online!

Congratulations on the new car! This is the time to start off on the right foot and Autogeek has everything you'll need and more!

This is "the" place to learn some of the finest ways to detail your car. There is a wealth of knowledge here for the beginner to the most advanced. A simple question is all that's needed to initiate helpful responses from members here and also Autogeek Professional Staff.

Everyone starts off as a beginner but with some reading, questions, and trial, error, and practice you'll be amazed how much you'll be able to do. After reading and understanding some of the basics, the more hands on your are the quicker you'll build your knowledge and gain experience.

This link contains articles written by Mike Phillips and has allot of great reading within.

Articles by Mike Phillips

Basic steps in order are:

• Wash
  • Clay
  • Paint Correction & Polish
  • Seal
  • Wax
Make detailing enjoyable and practice. Take your time and do not become overwhelmed. Just because there are a thousand product doesn't mean you have to use them all.

Pick one product from each category from the steps above. You already have some great waxes so you're that far ahead of the game..

Dual Action Polishes - Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate,

Swirl removers, and polishers - Swirl Removers, Compounds & Car Polishes: remove swirls with swirl mark removers, scratch removers, spiderwebs, car polish, rubbing compound,

Collinite 845 is one of those little gems that offer so much in the way of shine and protection for a mere $15.00 and a little goes a LONG way!

Welcome to AGO! Bobby has some great tips and is definitely one of the pro's on here. AGO has a huge library of tips/guides/how-to videos. I watched some of the Mike Phillip's DA videos before I did my first car so much my wife thought I was crazy. Read up on that stuff and you will be in good shape.

Regarding products, there is a large amount of quality products available on AGO and price does not necessarily mean better. I am still using up my Megs Gold Class shampoo and I think it is very nice and easily obtained OTC. I'll probably try some Ultima shampoo next, but just because I like to try new things.

My first try at using the DA I used Meg's Ultimate Compound and SwirlX. These aren't bad products at all, but my second attempt I switched to using Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and the results/process was much better I felt. Check out the Wolfgang Twins here: Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo, Wolfgang polishes, total swirl remover, finishing glaze, machine glaze

For sealants, look up the reviews on Wolfgang sealant or Menzerna Powerlock. I have both and am very impressed with the slickness, shine, and longevity.

For waxes, Collinite 845 is a forum favorite for longevity combined with looks. For a little less durability but also at an affordable price check out Poorboys natty blue or red. They get good reviews, even if I personally am not a huge fan.

Unfortunately with products, there is always something out there that is tempting to try, thus why I have way more products that I'll be able to use on my two daily drivers. Much better to follow this sage advice: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum.../24310-find-something-you-like-use-often.html

Good luck, you've found the best place on the internet for guidance! Happy :buffing:

First off this is my first post on autogeek, yay! :xyxthumbs:

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

Anyways I just got a new car and noticed that the red paint is filled with swirls so it definitely needs to be detailed.

Keep in mind, after you remove the swirls you'll have to be more careful anytime you "touch" the car, this includes washing it, so that you don't put swirls back into the paint.

How to maintain a freshly waxed car

The problem is I have never done anything more than wash a car. I would really appreciate some tips on detailing and what products are best without breaking the bank.

That's what we're here for...

BTW my car is always parked on the driveway rather than the garage which probably requires more attention and care right?

It means it's going to go downhill faster than if it were parked under some type of cover.

Also would a car cover help preserve the paint long term?

Long term yes. Short term no. Long term the car cover will protect the paint from the sun and attack from the environment.

Short term, most people end up putting on and taking off the car cover by themselves and storing it on the garage floor. The results is scratching from any dirt that gets trapped between the paint and the car cover while the car cover is being put on or taken-off and also if it's windy outside the wind can cause the car cover to rub the dirt against the paint and inflict swirls and scratches.

So far the only product I have bought is Meguiars Gold Class wash. But from the searching I have done it seems like Collinite 845 is a popular wax choice. I was also thinking about going with Mothers clay bar kit.

Sorry, I know this is a lot of questions but I really know nothing about detailing. Thanks guys!

What kind of car did you buy?

It's kind of funny but a lot of people join the forum and talk all about their car, new or old and leave that little detail out... :laughing:

There's a huge difference between washing and waxing and machine polishing to remove swirls. If you don't own a polisher and don't want to get into machine polishing you can stick with just simple washing and waxing as the wax will help to mask the swirls or you can do all your work by hand.

See this thread about working by hand as others including myself have already chimed in with information and links for more information.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-i-failed-my-first-time-polishing-waxing.html

:xyxthumbs:

Congrats on the new car! As an owner of a red car, I can really appreciate how swirl marks can really muck up the otherwise brilliant finish. If you want to detail your car relatively quick and don't want to spend a a lot of money, I would recommend setting up a budget and time frame. Say, under $100 and under 4 hours. Here is what I would do: Use the Meguiar's Gold Class, it is a fine soap. (When it runs out by a conditioning soap like Zymol Auto Wash) Go ahead with the Mother's Clay Bar, it is one of my favorites. After that if you want to save money and avoid the buffer, I would buy P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser. It preps paint for wax, brightens color, and conceals swirl marks by filling them in. I was skeptical, but now I swear by it. Zymol HD Cleanse is a good, but pricy alternative. Follow this up with a good coat of carnauba wax. Colonite is fine, I again prefer P21S. Make sure you USE MICROFIBER TOWELS and a good glass cleaner with water repellant, such as Invisible Glass with Rain Repellant. For the interior, use good products for the leather and vinyl and plastic, I highly recommend Lexol and Vinylex. A good wall mounted vacuum with a long hose is a good investment, but probably at a later time when you are prepared to spend more. All in all, with just those basic products, you will be under $100 and be quite satisfied. It is a quick, basic detail, and frankly, for a daily driver that will likely get a little abused, no more than you need. Good Luck!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Bobby and Trevor - I will definitely look more into those products

Mike - Funny that you say that about the car cover since for the first two weeks I had the car, I used a old car cover I had and realized that all it did was cover my car with dust since the cover was just lying around in the garage. I'll probably just buy a new car cover with a nice box to keep it in.

I got a Hyundai Genesis Coupe btw. Still learning how to drive it though (first manual car). :xyxthumbs: As for the polishing and waxing I don't have a machine so I'll be doing it all by hand, it should be fun haha. I was thinking about just going the wash, clay, polish then wax route. From what I've read Collinite seems to have nice longevity so it would be like a sealant right? I was thinking about getting a AIO for polish like Klasse or Poorboys polish + sealant. Is there something else better?

VWR - The Gloss enhancer sounds very intriguing

I was thinking about just going the wash, clay, polish then wax route. From what I've read Collinite seems to have nice longevity so it would be like a sealant right? I was thinking about getting a AIO for polish like Klasse or Poorboys polish + sealant. Is there something else better?
Bump, would you guys recommend just a pure polish rather than an all in one? Basically I want something easy, as I'm very prone to making mistakes haha

Bump, would you guys recommend just a pure polish rather than an all in one? Basically I want something easy, as I'm very prone to making mistakes haha

If you have the time, go for dedicated polishes, sealants and waxes.

If you have the time, go for dedicated polishes, sealants and waxes.
Its not really about the time for me, I was just thinking about starting off with just washing, claying, polishing then waxing since this would be my first time ever detailing and the less steps that are involved the lower likelihood of me messing up.

Back