Cleaning inside the wheel, how do I.....

Mazda.Mark

Reaction score
get tar pieces (chunks) off and clean in the wheel. I have a Daytona Speedmaster brush but I feel the bristles are not hard enough to do the job. My hands have cuts everywhere from reaching in and picking some off.

I have Meg WB and APC+ and Purple Power. I let WB at 10:1 set for a couple minutes to loosen, my brush was in a bucket of diluted apc to clean but some just will not come off. Also the ones I do clip off the remnants on the wheel will not come clean.

Any tools, technique I could use? I tried 0000 steel wool, but afraid to really scrub with it.

PS Taking off wheels not an option for me, I am not that comfortable doing that yet.

I know its small but it really bugs me.

Its a Mazda6 daily driver with factory 17" alloys. Feed back please:dblthumb2:

If you have tar inside there it's probably best to actually take the wheels off to clean the inside. If it's just brake dust you can use your Daytona brush with something like Sonax and just brush through your wheel spokes, although the ease of doing this may depend on how much space is in between your spokes and whatnot.

I have black tar crap all inside my wheels from when I got my car rust-proofed for the wonderful winter salt in upstate NY. Still need to see if I can clean that up when I put my winter wheels/tires on.

As for what product to use for the tar you may want to try Stoner Tarminator.

As has been noted, the best way really is going to be to take the wheels off. If you have a real layer of paint on the barrel (not all wheels do), once you get it clean, polished and sealed it should be much easier to maintain.

Please be careful sticking your hands in there if you have WB on the wheel, especially if you already have cuts on your hands. You really don't want WB on your bare skin.

I do not know how everyone else feels on this matter but a wheel removal is going to be your best option to clean these.

Has anyone mentioned you should remove your wheeels?

Lol you are the first. I have nylon gloves for use of WB. I have a little stoners left I used for wheel wells I can try that.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I am guessing no one has a stiffer brush to reach in there they use?

Lol you are the first. I have nylon gloves for use of WB. I have a little stoners left I used for wheel wells I can try that.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I am guessing no one has a stiffer brush to reach in there they use?

I use a spoke brush. The brissels are definately stiffer, but not stiff enough to remove tar and wheel weight glue

Do you have a floorjack and jackstands? Its really going to be your only option IMO to get your wheels back in shape. After you get them cleaned up (tar removed and sealed) your matinence washes will be much easier and more rewarding

+1 on wheel removal. (Yes, I know you said it wasn't an option but it's like having appendicitis and telling the surgeon to fix it but don't cut me.) I think it's time to learn how to remove wheels. Safety first, please.

+1 on wheel removal. (Yes, I know you said it wasn't an option but it's like having appendicitis and telling the surgeon to fix it but don't cut me.) I think it's time to learn how to remove wheels. Safety first, please.

Yes, then he can experience the joy of having the wheel fall over onto the face, etc. Ah, memories!

ugh I guess I need to do tool shopping this weekend!

Don't you have the jack/lug wrench for your spare tire?? Granted, that's not the best, but it will get the job done. Although a torque wrench is best for tightening, especially if you're not experienced.

Don't you have some friends that are handy with a wrench? (and have a floor jack, socket set, breaker bar, and torque wrench ;) )

bmw that uses runflats doesnt come with wrench and jack. not sure what car op has got

Like the brush thanks for the link. No I moved to IN so I don't have many handy friends yet. My tools are limited since I rent for now.

I have the spare set, just thought be safer have the proper tools for the job.

I will look into it for sure.

Mark

Klasse AIO works wonders on barrels, but as offered wheels need to come off to use properly.

Like the brush thanks for the link. No I moved to IN so I don't have many handy friends yet. My tools are limited since I rent for now.

I have the spare set, just thought be safer have the proper tools for the job.

I will look into it for sure.

Mark

See if you can rent a floorjack and 2 jackstands. Try this place

A Rental Service
2520 So. Madision Ave
Muncie In 47302

(765) 286 -RENT

Back