Some controversial techniques

Flip

Reaction score
I had a guy over the other day to install a hitch on my VW.
He owns an auto shop and buys and sells cars, so I got to talking to him about my detailing business.

He showed me a couple of his tricks and I wanted to get some feedback from you guys on this.

1) Using break fluid to restore headlights. He put some break fluid on a rag and rubbed it into my tail lights and it worked really well! It was instantly clear. He said it looks good and is an easy technique but will only last a couple weeks.

2) Using motor oil to detail the engine bay. He took a rag and wiped down all the dust off my engine. Then he used the same rag with the break fluid and showed me how it can really shine the plastic that covers most of the engine. He mentioned that motor oil works really well too, But you need to start the car and let it run for a few minutes before the customer returns because the engine will smoke a little!

What do you guys think about these techniques?

If something is worth doing, it is worth doing right. And I would say this applies ten fold if someone is paying you to do it.

Say someone is paying you for paint correction, not headlight restoration, but you do the brake fluid on the highlights so is looks extra "nice" when your customer picks up the car. Iin a week or two when "nice" wears off, your customer might assume your paint correction was only as good as your 10 day headlight restoration.

Regarding motor oil to clean the engine, sure a rag saturated with oil would clean dirt off a valve cover (oils intended purpose right after lubrication). I would be concerned that after you burn the oil off, it would leave a residue that would attract more dirt quicker.

WD 40 will do that too... Plus remove bugs, tar, polish exhaust tips, chrome, your kitchen stove top, and 2000 plus other things. Check out their web site. I have gallons of it It's main incredient is.... Fish oil.

If you buy-sell cars your motivation is more temporary "lipstick on a pig" type cosmetic fix ups. Clearly they work for him to move the metal.

I'm more into keeping customers and their cars long term, so his methods, while appropriate for the next sucker on the lot won't work for me.

1) Using break fluid to restore headlights. He put some break fluid on a rag and rubbed it into my tail lights and it worked really well! It was instantly clear. He said it looks good and is an easy technique but will only last a couple weeks.

Be careful, brake Fluid will also remove paint! So, if you really want to try this, be sure you do NOT get any on the surrounding paint.

Be careful, brake Fluid will also remove paint! So, if you really want to try this, be sure you do NOT get any on the surrounding paint.
This^^^
I would not recommend this at all, brake fluid is for brakes! It will destroy your plastics if they are painted, It happens very fast. I’d say stick with products specifically for the jobs; this is why I do not use a ratchet to detail a car.

1) Using break fluid
2) Using motor oil

Thanks for this post, OP....stirs up quite a few memories.

I always wonder how many vehicles from days gone by would still be around today if the "techniques" for their proper care were attainable for everyone...let alone the fact who actually could afford the luxury of vehicle ownership, new or used.

That's why I enjoy going to Concours events. Many of those vehicles on display are the result of: Ownership passed down through the family that had the ability to afford the proper care (techniques); or, somebody with enough money to purchase from families a turn-key antique/classic and continue with the proper vehicle care techniques.

Due to some creative programs by FDR and our government's involvement in a few wars, many 'common' folks, that were considered Okies, hillbillies, and ne're-do-wells by the "elite", found their way out of being impoverished and had some purchasing power for that: "Washing-machine and a Chevrolet"~Alabama.

I remember if one had a vehicle, rarely a new one, it was used for its intended purpose...transportation. The appearance of a vehicle was delegated way down the list of must-haves (the elite notwithstanding). Motor oil, brake and transmission fluid usually went into their intended destinations...not to be wasted on aesthetics. Only through "American ingenuity", or accidental spills, it would seem to me, that 'fluids' (and other home-brews) found a different use.

You, OP, just barely "scratched" the surface on the types of controversial car care techniques (one of my favorites was wood shavings in the differential housing). Thankfully, over the years, with modern technologies having been made more affordable and accessible, proper car care techniques are readily available to most everyone that has the wherewithal for vehicle ownership and its 'proper-care-techniques'.

Those that are still using the "techniques" of yesteryear, IMO, should be considered belonging on the shady-side-of-town, and should be avoided. If caught doing these controversial techniques, they, IMO, deserve a good horse-whipping!

As our economy and citizens struggled in those old-days, let's hope they are not once again unavoidable, and soon approaching...I really don't wish for that scenario. Then food, shelter, and clothing, would once again be paramount.

Excuse me, if you will, OP, for the "wandering around", as it were. I am just so thankful for the blessings I now have.

Note:

Aren't there always some "controversial techniques" that are being discussed on this and other car care forums...You know: waxes, sealants, coatings, polishing pads, polishers, wheel cleaners, car wash shampoos, ad infinitum. :)

Just saying...

Bob

I think that is why he is selling cars and runs an auto repair shop as opposed to a detailing business. The same way a seasoned detailer might find a quick fix to a mechanical problem they have no idea how to fix permanently.

Old school tricks/fakery from the 60's at a used car lot to dupe buyers. A conscience is not required for these techniques. Makes me wonder if he used cut rate second hand bolts to attach your hitch.......

I believe you should use the right tool or application for the right job.

1. Brake fluid eats things like plastic and paint so while they may work I think I'd opt for something more dedicated to each area.

2. Motor oil is for lubrication and starting my woodstove. Motor oil also attracts dust and dirt like a magnet!

More than likely the tried and trued tools of a used car salesman....:bat:

Flip, thanks for your post, and I'm glad you are asking for our opinions on the matter.

As you can tell by everyone posting above me these aren't the methods we as Detailer's would use.

I agree with the others...This guy is just out to sell a vehicle, it seems he knows nothing or doesn't care enough to properly prepare a vehicle for sale.

My advice to you....Check your trailer hitch and be sure it is properly installed.:laughing: :laughing:

Keep reading the Forum and when tried and true new ways of doing things get posted, you can pretty much take it to the bank, that the person that has tried it cares about vehicles and keeping them well maintained.

Cheers Buddy :cheers:.

I had a guy over the other day to install a hitch on my VW.
He owns an auto shop and buys and sells cars, so I got to talking to him about my detailing business.

He showed me a couple of his tricks and I wanted to get some feedback from you guys on this.

2) Using motor oil to detail the engine bay. He took a rag and wiped down all the dust off my engine. Then he used the same rag with the break fluid and showed me how it can really shine the plastic that covers most of the engine. He mentioned that motor oil works really well too, But you need to start the car and let it run for a few minutes before the customer returns because the engine will smoke a little!

Sounds like sage advice! Thanks for the tips

Regards,

We tote the note :)

Last edited:
Old school tricks/fakery from the 60's at a used car lot to dupe buyers. A conscience is not required for these techniques. Makes me wonder if he used cut rate second hand bolts to attach your hitch.......

Ok now I am nervous. The guy wasn't able to attach the hitch, he had to go back to his shop and weld something. How do I know he is using good bolts?? And more importantly how do I know if my small trailer will fall off if he installed it wrong?

I probably should have just went to Uhaul in the first place.

Most after market hitches made for a particular car mount with four bolts in under an hour. Welding generally is not required. Were it mine it would go to a business that installs them (and the wiring for electrical) daily for their livelihood. Your call on that.......

If the engine's valves tap, pack the valve covers full of saw dust and ship it off to auction is something I once heard one of these shifty unscrupulous used car stealership owners say.

Ok now I am nervous. The guy wasn't able to attach the hitch, he had to go back to his shop and weld something. How do I know he is using good bolts?? And more importantly how do I know if my small trailer will fall off if he installed it wrong?

I probably should have just went to Uhaul in the first place.

Most after market hitches made for a particular car mount with four bolts in under an hour. Welding generally is not required. Were it mine it would go to a business that installs them (and the wiring for electrical) daily for their livelihood. Your call on that.......

:iagree: I would have someone else take a second look. If your trailer flies off going down the highway, there's no telling what type of mayhem might ensue

Back