I got my sealant on and buffed off... and then it rained.

babelfish

Reaction score
Using Menz Power Lock. Applied sealant, waited an hour, buffed off, and maybe two hours later we got a light rain, and the water sat on the car all night.

This morning, the water was beaded up on the car (since I clayed and used 105/205 prior to the sealant, I doubt this was any residual product left on the paint), and a mile down the road, the hood was nearly completely dry from the water rolling off as the air flowed over it.

So, I'm guessing what I've got here is just a poorly-cured product which won't have much longevity. Sound right? I mean, it looks like it's doing its job for the moment. Unfortunately, the car lives outside, and there won't be a chance to get it under cover until this coming weekend. And, given that I live in the Pacific Northwet (that is not a typo), there's almost no chance of a rain-free day in the near future (the current 7-day has a pair of days with a 30% chance of rain, but, really, I doubt there will be a single day in the next week lacking in drizzle).

Given the failed cure, when I get to the car again, should I be using a cleaner, or am I fine just washing and putting on another layer of sealant?

In my experience, you should be able to just wash real good then re apply the sealant maybe working the sealant in a little longer than usual and all should be good. The re application of the sealant should dissolve the remaining cured sealant as you work it into/onto the paint ensuring a good result.

I don't know how accurate it was, but not too long ago someone posted that for sealants about 75% of curing takes place in the first hour. If that's true, you should be fine.

Back