My methods for applying Opti-Coat

Anthony Orosco

Reaction score
I have done a video, actually several videos.....but this is the one I have edited....on our methods for applying Opti-Coat.

Hope you'll enjoy the video.

[video=youtube_share;Yyo_-UA8yM4"]Opti-Coat Application Methods - YouTube[/video]

Nice video Anthony. This product I find very intriquing. Thanks for taking the time.

Where are you anyway in case I see someone looking for a detailer in your area?

Great video Anthony. Thanks for putting that together.

Nice video Anthony. This product I find very intriquing. Thanks for taking the time.

Where are you anyway in case I see someone looking for a detailer in your area?

Thank You.

I'm in Texas (San Antonio) and very kind of you to consider our shop in that regard.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony!
This video really helps take the apprehension of applying OC away. I don't know what I had for a vision, but it sure wasn't that simple and easy.

Do you ever see any lint from the blue paper towel left behind in the dried OC?

Thanks for taking the time to put this together! Much appreciated.:dblthumb2:

Thanks Anthony!
This video really helps take the apprehension of applying OC away. I don't know what I had for a vision, but it sure wasn't that simple and easy.

Do you ever see any lint from the blue paper towel left behind in the dried OC?

Thanks for taking the time to put this together! Much appreciated.:dblthumb2:

Hey you're welcome, glad I could take away some of the apprehension in OC.

Nope, no lint left behind. OC is not a "tacky" product as it's being applied. It only hardens once its carrier has flashed off. Now enough product, say the left over product within the blue needle applicator, if not cleaned prior to storage will crystallize and harden thus clogging up the cap. Soaking it in some thinner though loosens it.

Anthony

Thanks for the video Anthony. I found it very interesting. A couple comments and questions.

Can I ask you are you using Opticoat in the demonstration or is that Optiseal?

I'm shocked the shop towel doesnt scratch the paint.

Spraying it on: Wont very small particles of opticoat become airborne that way and find themselves onto places that you might not want to coat and don't know to wipe since you don't know where they landed?

I thought you were going to put a glove on your hand as well :) LOL!

I'm presuming you meant what I'm about to ask: Was that Opti-Guard or Opti-Coat 2.0?

Anthony, was that "neat" product in the spray gun? Do you have any problems with what you have in there curing between applications? Or do you transfer it back to the syringe?

I'm presuming you meant what I'm about to ask: Was that Opti-Guard or Opti-Coat 2.0?

Anthony, was that "neat" product in the spray gun? Do you have any problems with what you have in there curing between applications? Or do you transfer it back to the syringe?

No, I really did mean Opti-seal.

Edit: Of course I wouldn't think it would be but the way Anthony kept applying coats of it over after it flashing and the way it behaved when he did that made me think it was optiseal instead of OC or OG. Figured maybe for the demo he just put optiseal in the containers.

Hey Anthony,

I like the way you approached the application of Optimum Opti-Coat! I call this thinking out of the box and the pad & towel approach is very interesting.

Optimums instructions say to apply the product to the supplied foam pad then apply to the finish. As everyone knows, foam absorbs liquids and Optimum Opti-Coat is no different. Because of this, some of the Optimum Opti-Coat stays with the pad and eventually evaporates resulting in wasted product.Your method uses the foam pad as a contour cushion and the plastic glove keeps the product from being absorbed therefore more efficient use of product.

I am curious about fiber or errant particles of paper towel through. What sort of towel are you using and how soft is it?

Were you applying Optimum Opti-Seal or Optimum Opti-Coat with the spray gun and what pressure setting were you using?

Awesome Video Anthony!! :props:

Hey Anthony,

I like the way you approached the application of Optimum Opti-Coat! I call this thinking out of the box and the pad & towel approach is very interesting.

Just in case you didn't know, Anthony has been involved in the development/testing of this product since the beginning, perhaps five years ago, as he has been with many if not all of the Optimum products.

Very good instructive video. Never thought of putting the foam pad in a glove to prevent product waste by absorption.

When using the small detail sprayer, are you diluting the product in some manner? I can't imagine squirting enough OptiCoat2.0 into a gun to get the gun to even notice it's got anything in it. Maybe an airbrush with it's tiny little cup, but not a real gun.

Just in case you didn't know, Anthony has been involved in the development/testing of this product since the beginning, perhaps five years ago, as he has been with many if not all of the Optimum products.

I did notice the Optimum shirt and logo but didn't know he's been instrumental in the development of Optimums line.....WOW!! :props:

Well, that video made me realize that I am being way skimpy on the OC!! When he loaded up the shop towel with OC, he used about 4x more product than i would have used. And then the paint gun makes it look like he is using 20cc in the initial spraying!! :)

Well, that video made me realize that I am being way skimpy on the OC!! When he loaded up the shop towel with OC, he used about 4x more product than i would have used. And then the paint gun makes it look like he is using 20cc in the initial spraying!! :)

I was thinking he's probably got 32oz of the stuff over on the bench! :laughing: :props:

Thanks for the video Anthony. I found it very interesting. A couple comments and questions.

I'm shocked the shop towel doesnt scratch the paint.

Spraying it on: Wont very small particles of opticoat become airborne that way and find themselves onto places that you might not want to coat and don't know to wipe since you don't know where they landed?

I thought you were going to put a glove on your hand as well :) LOL!

It's Opti-Coat 2.0 in the demo.

It doesn't become airborne in the manner of excessive over spray like spraying a base color or clear coat. Now if I were to spray an entire car with opti-coat then I do mask certain areas off but for this demo I did not.

Thanks for watching!

What ever is not used goes back in the syringe BUT I try and use it all as once exposed to air it begins to cure.

For the demo I used OC 2.0

Anthony

Back