PDA

View Full Version : LC kompressor pad with GG 6" ROP... wasting too much product ?

Pages : [1] 2

DaC
10-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Guys I did my first polishing this weekend.... I used Meg's ultimate polish...
The problem is.... I used almost 4oz to do a single pass on a hatchback car....
I know I'm new to this and will end up using more product than normal.... But I think it was just too much...
I'm using the new LC Kompressor Hydro-tech 6" pads.....
It seems that it holds a lot of product in the center of the pad.... what do you guys think ?

I also found strange that I wasn't able to see that wet look with the polish spread like in all videos over here....
But when using the 4" flat hydro-tech pads it did....

BTW I primed the pad like Kevin Brown says and used 3 pea sized drops in each 2x2 section....

BobbyG
10-04-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm not familiar with LC Kompressor Hydro-tech 6" pads. Do you mean Lake County Kompressor pads?

I did some experimenting with Lake County Kompressor pads on my Flex 3401 and didn't like them.

I discovered that the Lake County Kompressor pads work best on my rotary polisher.

Stick with the flat pads and see if you make some progress....

DaC
10-04-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm not familiar with LC Kompressor Hydro-tech 6" pads. Do you mean Lake County Kompressor pads?

I did some experimenting with Lake County Kompressor pads on my Flex 3401 and didn't like them.

I discovered that the Lake County Kompressor pads work best on my rotary polisher.

Stick with the flat pads and see if you make some progress....

Hi Bob!
Well, I only have 4" flat pads... all of my 6" are Kompressors HT pads....

But I really do mean Kompressor Hydro-Tech pads.... they were out a couple of months ago.... take a look:
6 Inch Lake Country Kompressor Hydro-Tech Cyan Advanced Cutting Foam (http://www.autogeek.net/h20-44-9600kr.html)
6 inch Lake Country Kompressor Hydro-Tech Tangerine Ultra Polishing Foam Pad - (http://www.autogeek.net/h20-44-2600kr.html)
6 inch Lake Country Kompressor Hydro-Tech Crimson Finishing Foam Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/h20-44-1600kr.html)

Why didn't you liked them with the Flex ?

WRAPT C5Z06
10-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Kompressor pads work WAY better with a rotary than a DA.

Dr Oldz
10-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Agreed....save the Kompressor for the rotary. With that being said..... after you have the pad properly primed, you should only be using 3 PEA sized drops per section you are working on. The Kompressor pads are designed to hold the product in the middle of the pad but it simply sounds like you are over-applying product. Try cuttting back and then let us know how you made out.

Buckskincolt
10-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Here is Nicks original post on the HT Kompressor pads. He reviews them being used on a PC/XP.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/39122-new-product-review-lake-country-hydro-tech-kompressor-pads.html
Seemed to get pretty good results. This post clearly will show the OP how much product he should be using!:xyxthumbs:

WRAPT C5Z06
10-04-2011, 11:18 PM
They don't feel right with a DA, IMO.

Buckskincolt
10-04-2011, 11:37 PM
They don't feel right with a DA, IMO.
I don't know, don't have any and don't have any plans to buy any unless I pull the trigger on the PE 14 then maybe. But he has them, so I just thought this might help him get acceptable use from them?

WRAPT C5Z06
10-04-2011, 11:45 PM
But he has them, so I just thought this might help him get acceptable use from them?
:props:

DaC
10-05-2011, 05:37 AM
Ok guys..... so you liked them better with rotatory..... I must say besides the product waste, the finishing result was just perfect. using the tangerine pad with ultimate polish.

But... back in the product waste thing... could it be because I'm using a 5 inch backing plate with it and thus can the pad be not fully compressed in the center ? I really think this must be playing a big role in the product waste.....
I used Nick's review of this pad as a guide when buying them.... that's why I bought it and also used the 5" nacking plate

If that's the case, I might just get back to the GG 6" backing plate although I'm a noob and won't have the safe margin this way....

And forgot to say... another issue..... the GG 6" ROP seems pretty unbalanced when using the kompressor....

BobbyG
10-05-2011, 06:34 AM
Hi Bob!
Well, I only have 4" flat pads... all of my 6" are Kompressors HT pads....

But I really do mean Kompressor Hydro-Tech pads.... they were out a couple of months ago.... take a look:
6 Inch Lake Country Kompressor Hydro-Tech Cyan Advanced Cutting Foam (http://www.autogeek.net/h20-44-9600kr.html)
6 inch Lake Country Kompressor Hydro-Tech Tangerine Ultra Polishing Foam Pad - (http://www.autogeek.net/h20-44-2600kr.html)
6 inch Lake Country Kompressor Hydro-Tech Crimson Finishing Foam Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/h20-44-1600kr.html)

Why didn't you liked them with the Flex ?

WOW, Interesting, I wasn't even aware they made such a thing! :props:

It's tough keeping up with all the new product launches!

On my Flex 3401 they just didn't feel right to me.

As the folds collapsed or folded to one side, the oscillating action didn't seem like it was working the pad enough. Knowing the design of the pad I surmised that this is what was going on and switched back to the flat style pad and I could see and feel the difference.

DaC
10-05-2011, 06:38 AM
WOW, Interesting, I wasn't even aware they made such a thing! :props:

It's tough keeping up with all the new product launches!

On my Flex 3401 they just didn't feel right to me.

As the folds collapsed or folded to one side, the oscillating action didn't seem like it was working the pad enough. Knowing the design of the pad I surmised that this is what was going on and switched back to the flat style pad and I could see and feel the difference.

Oh boy... =(
I do feel the GG ROP pretty unbalanced using the kompressor...
I guess I'll have to order some Regular HT pads then.... and the kompressor will sit until I can buy a Flex PE =]

BobbyG
10-05-2011, 06:43 AM
Oh boy... =(
I do feel the GG ROP pretty unbalanced using the kompressor...
I guess I'll have to order some Regular HT pads then.... and the kompressor will sit until I can buy a Flex PE =]

This is probably similar to what I was feeling on my Flex..

Kompressor pads area also thick allowing more of the product to migrate deep within the slats of the pad.

What side backing plates do you have for the Griot's polisher?

DaC
10-05-2011, 07:31 AM
This is probably similar to what I was feeling on my Flex..

Kompressor pads area also thick allowing more of the product to migrate deep within the slats of the pad.

What side backing plates do you have for the Griot's polisher?

Well, I have the original GG 6" backing plate and also Lake Country 5" and 3.5" ones...

I polished my car using the LC 5" backing plate..... and the question is.... should the 6" work better despite being a little dangerous ?

BobbyG
10-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Well, I have the original GG 6" backing plate and also Lake Country 5" and 3.5" ones...

I polished my car using the LC 5" backing plate..... and the question is.... should the 6" work better despite being a little dangerous ?

A 6" pad will work with a 5" backing plate. "Ideally" a 5 1/2" backing plate would be better with a 6" pad because it covers or supports a "little bit" more of the pad.

I've found that I really like the thinner pads over the thick type like the CCS pads. More downward force is used rather than absorbed in the thicker pad, at least that's my thinking. I can correct in less time as the process is more efficient.