Looking to Invest In New Double Sided Pads- 3M or Edge Pads?

ShineTimeDetail

Reaction score
I have been looking at buy some double sided pads and am leaning towards the 3M brand but for half the price the edge pads are look pretty nice to0 lol Do the edge pads compare to the 3M or are 3M worth the money?

Thanks!!:dblthumb2:

Oh and if I get the 3M Quick release will it also work on the edge pads?

Also Can I go from a 3M white Perfect-it foam compounding pad To a 3M Blue perfect-it Ultrafine foam pad?

3M and Edge pads are both high quality - they are both owned by 3M. The 3M adapter will work with Edge pads and vice versa.

As for your pad question, it depends on what products you're working with and the paint system you're working on. Think of it like going from a Lake Country orange to gray. It can be done in some cases, usually only if the compounding step leaves minimal swirls/hazing. :cheers:

In most cases, I've been able to make the jump from 105 with a cutting pad to 205 with a finishing pad, so I don't see this being an issue. Of course, everything varies based on the situation, so keep that in mind. :)

I've used the edge pad system a couple and it's alright in my opinion. On a rotary they are much better. On the da I just feel they dot have enough cushion. My opinion of course.

I've used the edge pad system a couple and it's alright in my opinion. On a rotary they are much better. On the da I just feel they dot have enough cushion. My opinion of course.

I agree that double sided pads truly shine when used on a rotary buffer. :props:

So I guess it comes down to which pads would 'You' use, the edge 6 inch foam pads, the edge 6 inch wool pads or the 3M double sided pads?

It really depends on the job you're doing and your skill level. 6 inch pads will be easier to control and will generate less heat...8 inch pads will obviously cover more ground and generate more heat, but will be harder to control. As for wool vs foam, I usually always stick with foam unless dealing with heavy oxidation or sanding marks.

Basically I have a 2011 Mustang GT Saturday with lots of swirls and some heavier scratches that look like a stiff brush made. Then I have a 2011 Challenger on Sunday with lots of swirls I will be doing. Both are black cars- My favorite-Not lol

I think I will stay away from the 3M do to the size.

With the right compounds (105/205) the foam pads should do the trick just fine. I try to avoid wool since you'll usually need an additional finishing step to remove the hazing it causes.

I have a yellow compressor pad and it wouldn't take the deeper scratches out on the Mustang.

If the yellow Kompressor didn't touch it, the black foam likely won't do much more...you probably need to step up to wool in that case. What compounds were you using with the yellow Kompressor pad?

Back