Paint overspray removal - a success story ! p1

Guppy

Reaction score
Cheesy title is cheesy, but had to!

So in follow up to: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/40287-polisher-buffer-buy-situation.html

Let me say this first and foremost, I Live in Honduras, Central America, detailing at it's max means turtle wax lovers rejoice, anything turtle wax you find! Trying to find anything else is a pain in the ass! Anyway... Long story Short, my car was oversprayed with white paint, read about it in above link.

Now, after searching all over the interwebz I found out I needed clay, however, being in Honduras, my first source for buying things is amazon.com and as I was bombarded by turtle wax products, I searched for turtle wax clay... Man the horror stories were unbelievable, deep scratches, paint etching, etc... Then somehow I found Autogeek.

1. First step, obvious step, wash car... I washed 3 times just to be sure ( me being a noob in car detailing).

2. I taped of 8 inch x 8 inch areas on the ROOF.

3. Started rubbing... And rubbing..
4. Voila! Presto! The paint came off! I carefully inspected the area I had clayed and notice no new scratches or marring other than what was already put there by the dealer and by my in-experienced car-washing techniques ( pre A.G.).

5. So I said what the heck, I taped of a bigger area, around 2 foot x 2 foot on the roof and let 'er rip! I zig zagged, up and down, circles etc. Mind you, to successfully remove the paint I have to rub on the same area several times, so it was part of the process. After removing the tape and wiping of the lubricant, I inspected thoroughly and what do you know, no scratching or marring what so ever!

After doing that test I also realized, claying smaller areas, makes you waste a bit more of lubricant since it slides of really easy, whilst when claying large areas, it's easier to spread it thoroughly thus, reducing the chance of sliding it off.

6. After around 4 hours of claying the roof, it was done, the roof was finally paint free! Now all I have to do is the rest of the car :(:mad:

6.1 Also as I clayed, a bit of dirt and just random debris that was stuck would come off but not stick to the clay, I would slightly spray it with lubricant it would fall done, keeping it from mixing in with the clay.

7. So after I finished the roof, I decided to do a small test area with the new PC and pinnacle swirl remover/ultra fine polish on the trunk. And All I have to say about it is wow! Who knew swirls take so much life out of your cars paint!. But since I've barely clayed the roof and still have to the rest of the car, that will be the 2nd part of my story, so to sum up:

* Claying with pinnacle clay, even if you decide to go apeshit on it, as long as the surface is clean, introducing new scratches/marring is very difficult, mind you, this is on my car's clear coat ( Mazda 3 2010), not are all the same!

To Do:

- Finishing claying the car
- Figure out what works best for the rubber trims with out having to re-dye
- Swirl/polish

On the photos, man it is hard getting the camera to focus! So i've uploaded quite a few from different angles, so I used a piece of tape to get it to focus, in the majority you can see the white overspray and to the side, the area that has been clayed and doesn't have white spots anymore.

Also, crossposted to: Paint overspray removal - a success story ! p1 - Neowin Forums

And big shout out to Mike Phillips! He is the man!

Last edited:
damn right! :P Can't believe I took an overspray situation on my car to find out about :P But I guess, that's the "positive" in this whole situation...

Let me say this first and foremost, I Live in Honduras, Central America, detailing at it's max means turtle wax lovers rejoice, anything turtle wax you find! Trying to find anything else is a pain in the ass! Anyway...

Long story Short, my car was oversprayed with white paint, read about it in above link.

Thank you for posting a follow-up with your success!

Out of the pictures you attached I uploaded this one to your gallery to insert it and show everyone what you were up against...

claybar12.jpg

Let's hope you don't run into any more airborne paint in the air into the future!

Let me say this first and foremost, I Live in Honduras, Central America, detailing at it's max means turtle wax lovers rejoice, anything turtle wax you find! Trying to find anything else is a pain in the ass! Anyway...

Long story Short, my car was oversprayed with white paint, read about it in above link.

Now, after searching all over the interwebz I found out I needed clay, however, being in Honduras, my first source for buying things is amazon.com and as I was bombarded by turtle wax products, I searched for turtle wax clay... Man the horror stories were unbelievable, deep scratches, paint etching, etc...

Then somehow I found Autogeek.

Autogeek to the rescue!

3. Started rubbing... And rubbing..
4. Voila! Presto! The paint came off!

Cool. Removing overspray paint usually falls into one of two catagories...

1. Easy
  2. Hard
Depends upon the type of overspray paint and how tightly it's bonded to your car's paint.

You've been on quite the cyber-journey since joining our forum and it's really rewarding to read your follow-up post and here of your success.

Thank you for sharing!

:dblthumb2:

Back