Detailed Wheels and wheel wells

DrMike

Reaction score
I hate taking pictures of my clean car just to have the flash show all the dirt in the wheel wells :mad:

So I finally got around to pulling my wheels off to detail them and the wheel wells. I used DP Wheel Gel and a Megs tire brush to clean the inside of the wheels, and DP Exterior Cleaner and the same tire brush for the wheel wells. After scrubbing and rinsing out the wheel wells I let them dry and then sprayed AA Tire foam and let it sit for a bit then wiped off the excess with an old costco MF.

I'm pretty pleased with the results. Some of the gunk on the insides of the wheels didn't come off though. Might need some sandpaper or something. Now that I don't drive it in the rain it shouldn't get this nasty again.

Before:

After:

It looks much better. On my nice cars I pull the wheels off all the time and detail the wheels and wheel wells. I never let them get that bad.

Looks 100% better... you should see mine right now, Filled to the brim with snow!

thanks guys!

Yeah, when it snowed here last month the mud guards on my truck had 10 lb blocks of ice/snow stuck to them from the water that flew off the wheels and froze, lol.

what do you think of the General tires .... got lucky and found a new set of rears for 650.00 (Supercars) but was looking at General and Continental as reasonably priced options !! 295-35-19

Last edited:
killrwheels@autogeek said:
what do you think of the General tires .... got lucky and found a new set of rears for 650.00 (Supercars) but was looking at General and Continental as reasonably priced options !!

I only have them on the fronts but so far they are doing great. The reviews on tirerack scored them almost as good as the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's I used to run, but they are only $79/each! lol.

For rears I run Nitto NT555R drag radials or else I break loose on the freeway, haha. I'm thinking about getting some Generals for the rears now that they come in 275's.

Wow! Looks like ur getting ready for a car show =)

R1DC2 said:
Wow! Looks like ur getting ready for a car show =)

Yeah, now that it's no longer my daily driver I'm trying to reverse the affects of daily driving it for 3 years.

Not planning on any specific shows but it will be nice to show off my detailing skills at some upcoming meets :D

That's a whole 180 degree turn there, man! Great job!

Joey

The wells separate the men from the boys.

When i see a newly detaild/washed car, i always check the wells to se how "good" the job is done, you would pass that with a A+

killrwheels@autogeek said:
what do you think of the General tires .... got lucky and found a new set of rears for 650.00 (Supercars) but was looking at General and Continental as reasonably priced options !! 295-35-19
I think my buddy had General A/T's on his F-150 and they were pretty good, seemed similar to the Michellin A/Ts on my truck, very grippy on/off road but smooth riding.

DR Mike - nice work

Wheel wells are one of my favorite things to do. You did so good!

Looks like or better than new!

Thanks for taking the time to post.

The before and after pictures really showed your hard work. I'm new at detailing and I totally agree, every time I detailed my cars I never really paid much attention to the wheels or wheel wells and sure the car would look nice and shinny but you would always have the wheel’s and wheel wells looking bad. I think I'm going to have to get in the habit of cleaning the wheel’s and wheel wells really good.

You did a great job, I totally agree it looks like new maybe even better. Well done :applause:

I am impressed! What a difference you made. I see you even applied tire dressing to the inside part of the tire. That is a lot of hard work you did. Do you have a compressor with an air powered lug wrench? I've been tempted to remove my wheels and clean them like you did but I always get tired (no pun intended) just thinking about it!

Great job!!!!!!

Oh, and I love that car!

Reddwarf said:
I am impressed! What a difference you made. I see you even applied tire dressing to the inside part of the tire. That is a lot of hard work you did. Do you have a compressor with an air powered lug wrench? I've been tempted to remove my wheels and clean them like you did but I always get tired (no pun intended) just thinking about it!

Great job!!!!!!

Oh, and I love that car!

Thanks!

Yeah I think my tires got glossy from the wheel gel, or maybe they just look like that because they're wet, but I didn't apply dressing to them at all :)

I do have air tools but didn't use them. I just used the good ol' breaker bar. Lots of work, but definitely worth it :awesome:

I gotta ask ya as I have been loking around lately. What floor jack are you using. So many out there and I have no idea which are considered to be good.

Thanks,
Howard

That looks like a fairly cheap Chinese brand. At least it looks alot like mine which is exactly what I described. It worked great for years, I decided to flush it and now it only goes up about halfway. Man, I'm bummed... tried filling it every which way I can think of too.

YankeeFan said:
I gotta ask ya as I have been loking around lately. What floor jack are you using. So many out there and I have no idea which are considered to be good.

Thanks,
Howard

I *think* (don't quote me on this) that it really doesn't matter so long as the jack is rated for more than the weight of your car. Oh, and not buying it out of the trunk of some guy in the parking lot usually helps too :p

Back