Sanding papers needed for upcoming job...

Hoytman

Reaction score
...on a job I'm working on. I've already washed and cleaned the carpet on a bass boat I've been asked to work on. One more week of school and I can finish the polishing. However, there are some spots that the guy wants me to try and fix, some of which I'm certain will require sanding.

Here's what I have as tools.

Dewalt 5.5 inch random orbital palm sander
Meg's DA w/w67da backing plate

I'm thinking my best bet would be to concentrate on 3" sanding papers, considering how small some of the areas are that will need attention. It is possible though that I could get by with 6" sanding discs as well. I could probably simply use a hand block and buy square papers.

What kind do you recommend and what is your opinion of the grits needed? Some of these scratches I can feel with my fingernail a tiny bit, while others go completely thru the gel-coat.

Bill, do you have any pics of the scratches you're talking about by chance?

Yes. I actually took some photo's with my phone last week, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to post them up because my phone is charging and I'm sleepy ha ha. In other words, it takes me forever to post pics lol.

This Ranger bass boat is red metal flake on the top side, and black metal flake on the lower half. The only scratches the gentleman is wanting removed are on the top rails. He's not so much worried about the swirls, but a few areas where the trolling motor cord rubs against which caused a slight haziness that I really think can be compounded out. However, there are a few RIDS in the same vicinity that if he wants them out I believe will require sanding. Of course, we'll try the least aggressive method first. There are three areas of concern about 4 inches square. This is supposed to be just a wash and wax, but I committed to at least trying to fix those small areas, and I am confident we can at least improve them.

Some areas of the red gel coat are gouged completely through to where the metal flake is showing silver. The owner is aware these areas can't be fixed, at least with my limited skills.

I'll post pics tomorrow morning.

Dang.... I missed this thread...

Which papers or discs did you end up using?

I'm teaching a class at the next Mobil Tech Expo called,

Isolated Scratch and Defect Removal

Which shows how to use the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher with Meguiar's 3" Unigrit Finishing Discs to remove isolated defects and then how to remove your sanding marks.

:)

Back