PDA

View Full Version : New Member with Basic '101' Wash and Wipe Questions

Detail_Dude
11-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi Everyone -

I am a new forum member from Long Island, NY.

It all started with my new Jet Black 328i and a desire to wash it properly. Long story short, I found this forum about 3 months ago and have (1) read an incredibly huge volume of posts, (2) purchased a healthy dose of products (yep, Cobra MF included), and (3) completed my first detail.

Leaving #3 alone, becuase I was under the impression I did a good job until I got a cearer shot of my hood at night, I would like to both introduce myself to and thank everyone here for just about converting me into a detail addict. Yep, I think this is my new hobby.

I read a LOT and watched many online videos. I still have a couple of questions that just don't seem clear to me and which I would appreciate if the experts here can help with.

First, what is the best way to clean a dirty (i.e., stained) chenille Cobra MF (the one that looks like its' a raggae fan - with dreadlocks) mitt? I washed it (along with other MFs) with Pinnace MF Rejuvinator on 'warm' and dryed it in the machine with low heat. I bet the dirty particles were washed out, but the mitt was no longer soft and fluffy, yet still stained.

Second, let's talk about my detail. I took this approach: wash (2 buckets with 2 grit guards), clayed, Menzerna P085RD'd, CG's EZ Creme Glaze, then Blackfire WetDiamond'd. My new PC 7424XP helped with the polish, glaze and sealant :). Should I have wiped off each product (which I did) before applying another? Also, ***Is it okay to wipe off these products in a circular motion with a clean plush MF....****? I think the answer is 'yes' because this is how the motion appeared in Mike Phillips' 'breaking the wax' segement *and* there is no 'dirt' that would be grinding in causing marring or swirls.

Third, shoud my regular wash (weekly or bi-weekly - depending on time) - which I am now doing with DP Rinseless Wash and Gloss - consist of straight line non-overlapping motions? I realize circluar is a major no-no, but shoud I go back and forth over and area, or perform more of a 'Z' motion (like using teh PC to polish, but with no overlapping)?

Advice in these areas would be most appreciated.

My next post will have before and after pics of my detail :)

Great to meet all of you - virtually!

-Jon

Mike Phillips
11-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Hi Everyone -

I am a new forum member from Long Island, NY.

Hi Jon and welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

It all started with my new Jet Black 328i and a desire to wash it properly. Long story short, I found this forum about 3 months ago and have (1) read an incredibly huge volume of posts, (2) purchased a healthy dose of products (yep, Cobra MF included), and (3) completed my first detail.

Yep... sounds like you have a bad case of the detailing bug... :laughing:

Leaving #3 alone, because I was under the impression I did a good job until I got a dearer shot of my hood at night, I would like to both introduce myself to and thank everyone here for just about converting me into a detail addict. Yep, I think this is my new hobby.

Not a bad hobby to have, you can take satisfaction in a job well done after doing it yourself and even make a little pocket change if you want too...

I read a LOT and watched many online videos. I still have a couple of questions that just don't seem clear to me and which I would appreciate if the experts here can help with.

First, what is the best way to clean a dirty (i.e., stained) chenille Cobra MF (the one that looks like its' a reggae fan - with dreadlocks) mitt? I washed it (along with other MFs) with Pinnacle MF Rejuvenator on 'warm' and dried it in the machine with low heat. I bet the dirty particles were washed out, but the mitt was no longer soft and fluffy, yet still stained.

Staining is hard to remove, we get stained microfiber towels, usually from wiping tires and such and the stains are lessened after washing but never totally removed... I'm not a scientist but it must have to do with some type of physical change to the fiber so that it absorbs the original color and reflects the unabsorbed colors...

I don't worry about stains on any of the microfibers or wash mitts I use as long as I know they have been properly washed, dried and stored.

As for the softness I'm not sure what to tell you, normally you don't use a fabric softener with microfiber products but it's okay to use them with cotton materials as it will make them softer.

Second, let's talk about my detail. I took this approach: wash (2 buckets with 2 grit guards), clayed, Menzerna PO85RD, CG's EZ Creme Glaze, then Blackfire WetDiamond'd. My new PC 7424XP helped with the polish, glaze and sealant :).

Should I have wiped off each product (which I did) before applying another?

YES!

Always remove product residue before applying the next product. All kinds of reasons for this if you want me to elaborate I will but it would be better to start a dedicated thread for that topic instead of lumping it into this thread...

Also, ***Is it okay to wipe off these products in a circular motion with a clean plush MF....****? I think the answer is 'yes' because this is how the motion appeared in Mike Phillips' 'breaking the wax' segment *and* there is no 'dirt' that would be grinding in causing marring or swirls.

The key to wiping any product off is to make sure your microfiber towels are clean and in good shape, then always fold them as explained in this article,

How to correctly fold and use a Microfiber Towel (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29230-how-correctly-fold-use-microfiber-towel.html)

Even over the weekend and last Thursday when we worked on the below two project cars I ensured everyone was using good wiping techniques.

Blown 1934 Ford Pick-up - Show Car Makeover - Modeled by Kristin (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/43007-blown-1934-ford-pick-up-show-car-makeover-modeled-kristin.html)

Here's Kristin shows the proper technique for using a microfiber towel...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1310/Project34080a.jpg

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air - Remove Swirls - Modeled by Kristin (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/42954-1957-chevrolet-bel-air-remove-swirls-modeled-kristin.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1308/1957BelairExtremeMakeover096.jpg

I also cover this in my how to book BEFORE the chapter on doing a Test Spot because AFTER a person does a Test Spot they have to wipe the residue off carefully. See page 87 and 88

E-book (http://www.autogeek.net/art-of-detailing-e-book.html)
(Displayed on iPad - iPad not included)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/medium/EbookCarWashingPage.jpg

Paperback
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/medium/paperbackDetailingBook01.jpg (http://www.autogeek.net/art-of-detailing-paperback-book.html)

Third, should my regular wash (weekly or bi-weekly - depending on time) - which I am now doing with DP Rinseless Wash and Gloss - consist of straight line non-overlapping motions? I realize circular is a major no-no, but should I go back and forth over and area, or perform more of a 'Z' motion (like using the PC to polish, but with no overlapping)?

When I was a car with a nice finish I run my wash mitt back and forth in straight lines over the paint any ONLY make enough passes to loosen the dirt and then move on to new territory or rinse that section.

Too many people scrub their paint when they wash it and run the the same section of paint way to many times for what's needed to do the job. I actually cover this on pages 12 and 13

Advice in these areas would be most appreciated.

My next post will have before and after pics of my detail

Great to meet all of you - virtually!

-Jon

Thanks for joining our forum and welcome to the detailing world...

:)

Detail_Dude
11-15-2011, 07:49 AM
WOW! Immediate feedback from the Master himself! Thank you so much, Mike, for fielding my questions. It all makes sense and, as you can see, I am learning.

Beautiful work on the Ford Pickup and good insight on using that big blue cover/tarp over the engine to avoid splatter, etc.

Later this week, I'll post by before and after detail pics of the job I did a week ago with my new D/A (which I will probably use for a while - year or so - until I get get the itch to learn rotary - lol).

The gem of your wiping technique was found in your 'Final Wipe' YouTube video, where you noted 'Freestyle' was fine and there are no hard and fast rules, provided the MF is REALLY clean, folded properly, and the paint has no contaminants on it which would induce marring (okay, I added the last bit - but I think it makes sense). When doing wax/product removal, I'll stick to the wrist-turn 'break' technique, then slowly 'creep' out by taking small circular 'bites'.

You and everyone else here (too many names to list) on this forum rock!

BobbyG
11-15-2011, 08:46 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online Jon!! :props:

tw33k2514
11-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Welcome to AGO! Mike has pretty much covered your questions it looks like. :buffing:

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Welcome to AGO Jon. Would like to see pics of your new 328i

Mike

shoeless89
11-15-2011, 12:22 PM
:welcome: to AGO!

Detail_Dude
11-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Appreciate the warm welcome, Mike, Shawn, Bobby and tw33k2514. Now that I am encouraged, I'll make a point to post my pics within the next day or so...with some comments/lessons learned.

Key lesson: reading and learning is one thing, execution is a whole different animal.

FUNX650
11-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Key lesson: reading and learning is one thing, execution is a whole different animal.

Jon....You said a whole lot of truth there, my friend! :dblthumb2:

And.....:welcome: ...to AGO.

Bob

Italian Iron
11-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Hello and welcome from a 2011 Alpine white BMW owner in neighboring New Jersey...

Detail_Dude
11-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Would love to upload some pics of my detail. Can someone please help me figure out how to add a 'Before' and 'After' caption/section in my post?

Detail_Dude
11-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Okay, here they are. My before and after shots of the 328i detail from a week or so ago. While I do feel (humbly) that it was a pretty decent first attempt at this, I suspect many of you will realize the final product could have resulted in a bit more 'clarity' to the paint. Any suggestions here?

My steps:

-Wash (with CG Citrus Clear to strip wax or whatever was there)
-Clay
-Rinse off clay
-Menzerna Micro Polish SF 4500 with a Black Pad speed 5-6
-CG EZ Creme Glaze with a Black Pad speed 4-5 (PC)
-Blackfire Wet Diamond with a Blue Pad speed 4

I hope it's okay to give props to non AG folks, albeit most of you guys - particulary Master Mike P - contributed to my knowledge, a lot of insight was gleaned from other areas - specifically the Junkman at Adams Forums and the awesome folks at Detailed Image.

WRAPT C5Z06
11-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Okay, here they are. My before and after shots of the 328i detail from a week or so ago. While I do feel (humbly) that it was a pretty decent first attempt at this, I suspect many of you will realize the final product could have resulted in a bit more 'clarity' to the paint. Any suggestions here?

My steps:

-Wash (with CG Citrus Clear to strip wax or whatever was there)
-Clay
-Rinse off clay
-Menzerna Micro Polish SF 4500 with a Black Pad speed 5-6
-CG EZ Creme Glaze with a Black Pad speed 4-5 (PC)
-Blackfire Wet Diamond with a Blue Pad speed 4

I hope it's okay to give props to non AG folks, albeit most of you guys - particulary Master Mike P - contributed to my knowledge, a lot of insight was gleaned from other areas - specifically the Junkman at Adams Forums and the awesome folks at Detailed Image.
Looks great!! :righton:

Detail_Dude
11-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Much appreciated! Hopefully future jobs get better.

Detail_Dude
11-25-2011, 08:46 AM
I also cover this in my how to book BEFORE the chapter on doing a Test Spot because AFTER a person does a Test Spot they have to wipe the residue off carefully. See page 87 and 88

E-book (http://www.autogeek.net/art-of-detailing-e-book.html)
(Displayed on iPad - iPad not included)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/medium/EbookCarWashingPage.jpg

Paperback
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/medium/paperbackDetailingBook01.jpg (http://www.autogeek.net/art-of-detailing-paperback-book.html)

When I was a car with a nice finish I run my wash mitt back and forth in straight lines over the paint any ONLY make enough passes to loosen the dirt and then move on to new territory or rinse that section.

Too many people scrub their paint when they wash it and run the the same section of paint way to many times for what's needed to do the job. I actually cover this on pages 12 and 13

Thanks for joining our forum and welcome to the detailing world...

The book is officially on it's way (along with a Sno Broom to keep my finish nice and - hopefully scratch free - through the NY winter).

Thanks again!!