Seriously Oxidized Black Rubber

tkt2fly

Reaction score
Hi folks;

I am brand new to this forum; I found it while searching for an answer to my problem. Maybe it has been addressed here in the past, but I couldn't find any relative threads.

I just bought a '85 Porsche 944. The black rubber bumpers & rear spoiler are seriously oxidized; not to the point of rubbing off on your hands but looks like they're getting there. Any suggestions for restoration? Can they be buffed with any product? Any wipe-on "magical cure?"

Thanx for any advice you may have. I've gleened quite a few great tips from this site already!

Last edited:
Welcome. You should enjoy this for your Porsche. Congratulations on your purchase.

One of our Forum members did a test on trim products. His name is Sparkie. You can look for threads that he has started to see the results. It is my recollection that the overall winner was "Black Again".

Any pictures might be helpful as well.

You can't really buff the bumpers, but there are quite a few quality chemicals that can greatly improve the look of them and maintain a good look.

I like Meguiar's Trim Detailer! EASY and it asts. You just spray it on the bumpers and all....

:Picture:
Sounds like a job for Mothers Back-to-Black.

Last edited:
For really seriously bad oxidized rubber and trim, take a look at this.

Forever Black restores a dark, black, finish on sun-faded bumpers and body moldings. Forever Black permanently dyes black plastic, rubber and vinyl.
autogeek_1938_23486390

I love Black Again also , but it wears off after some time and needs reapplication. Forever Black is actually a dye in product so for extremely oxidized, thats were I would personally start.

Back to Black isn't too bad, but I haven't tried anything else yet. I've heard it only lasts a couple weeks, but on my car it lasted at least a couple months before I noticed it starting to fade.

Do you have anything to restore severely oxidized Grey bumpers?

Mike T said:
Do you have anything to restore severely oxidized Grey bumpers?

Poorboys Trim Restorer ?? It would be my first test.

killrwheels@autogeek said:
Poorboys Trim Restorer ?? It would be my first test.
Tried, doesn't work well, and for some reason even when buffed still runs in the rain. Looks nice when dressed, but after a couple days seems to be gone let alone if it rains. I'm in the same boat as Mike, I want to find a dye that will work on grey, I'm goona grab some dye I guess for the side moldings and wiper cowl as I'm getting sick of applying dressing every week lol. Fords suv's have an issue w/ the window moldings and wiper cowl fading quickly even when taken care of.

Back