I think the paint on my hood has flex agent in it

Ron Atchison

Reaction score
Not really, but I don't think I've ever seen a more flimsy hood in my life than the one on my F150 which is alloy. With hardly any pressure you can make it oil can. One time this summer it actually popped down and stayed while polishing it. Opened the hood and popped it back up with no problem but geez I was hardly using any pressure b/c the paint is in great shape. I would hate to see what it would happen if any real corrections were needed and any real pressure was used.

when speaking of Flex agent, the term is normally used when talking about paint. for example, painted plastic parts like front and rear bumpers get flex agent added to the paint mixture so that it doesnt crack when the plastic moves around when removing bumper skins.

you through me off when speaking of alloy.

that sucks about the hood popping down real easily. I would guess you would need a rotary buffer for serious correction. DA buffers tend to not do well on very flexible panels.

My engineering response: The panel is only as thick as it needs to be.

My detailer response: Looks like you'll have to go easy on that panel.

Yes I know it's for plastic bumpers and trim so it doesn't crack with the flexing neither does the paint on my hood. Just a play on words. If I run my truch through a touchless car wash the air dryer at the end actually ripples the hood as I pull through. They must have it figured out though because it always comes right back like it never happened but man it's a flexy flier.

Well... I have this same problem with the FIAT Punto roof.... the machine just dances going up and down over it.... it's kind of scary.... I guess I won't apply much pressure to it anymore... because one day I can really crack someone paints doing that....

The roof on my altima vibrates like crazy when I barely use much pressure. I just do very quick passes so Im not in one spot to long.

Like you, I was almost afraid of denting because I cant just pull the liner and pop it up haha.

Back